New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

help merging many gps .log files into 1 .log file

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wrightm

wrightm is an unknown at this point

Hello,
I recently started photographing with my Canon 6D and traveled around Central America. I loved the function of the gps logger which provides .log files of the whole trip....but I have many individual .log files and I would like to make 1 .log file of the whole 2 month trip. Is there any way to do this?
Thanks for the help...
Micah
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Are the .LOG file just text or something else? Can you open them in TextEdit and have them show something legible? If so, you can use a simple Terminal command to combine them all with something like:
Code:
cat *.log >> final.log
For example
Code:
# ls -l 
-rw-rw-r-- 1 <user> <group>  4 Mar 28 12:39 one.log
-rw-rw-r-- 1 <user> <group>  6 Mar 28 12:39 three.log
-rw-rw-r-- 1 <user> <group>  4 Mar 28 12:39 two.log

# cat one.log
One

# cat two.log
Two

# cat three.log
Three

# cat *.log >> final.log
# ls -l
-rw-rw-r-- 1 <user> <group> 14 Mar 28 12:39 final.log
-rw-rw-r-- 1 <user> <group>   4 Mar 28 12:39 one.log
-rw-rw-r-- 1 <user> <group>   6 Mar 28 12:39 three.log
-rw-rw-r-- 1 <user> <group>   4 Mar 28 12:39 two.log

# cat final.log
One
Three
Two
The reason I got One, Three, Two as opposed to One, Two, Three is that "*.log" is resolved alphabetically, so Three is before Two..

So in your case, to keep the things in proper order (if it matters), you want the files to be named/numbered in a manner in which they will show up in the order you want..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
wrightm

wrightm is an unknown at this point

hey...thanks! It is a simple text file indeed.
I opened it in text edit and then started to past the files together and saved in a new text doc. It actually worked great...but I've got about 30 different .log files that I was trying to put together (trip was 2 months through Central America)...it seemed that it would work when I posted maybe 10 .log files together; but when I tried the whole thing, it seems not to work or be able to be read. I was using a free site called GPS Visualizer to view the files; so maybe it was a problem with that? Is there a limit to the number of text lines that it can read or it can only be a certain size? I just wanted to combine the 40 different days of travel route into one file that logged the journey of the entire trip...rather than opening 40 different files/days.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Is the contents of the file comma separated values (CSV), if so, you can just need the header and the each of your locations on lines below and it should read them all in.

So for 40 log files, you'd have 40 entries, plus the 1 header line so 41 lines total in your end result file.

Look at GPS Visualizer: Tutorial: Building Waypoint Files by Hand and GPS Visualizer: Tutorial: Building Plain-Text Track Files

Can you show us a quick snippet of what one of the log files look like?

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Two Macbooks on different OS X | Mountain Lion to Snow Leopard via Time Machine »