New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

iMac won't start after attempted reinstall of OS

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fredcoper

fredcoper is on a distinguished road

My 2009 27" iMac will not boot up. I was trying to wipe and reinstall the operating system (mountain lion) but it ask for a CD which I didn't have, so I turned it off meaning to try again later.

When I turned it back on, it no longer returns to the install prompt, just the greyed out no entry symbol.

I tried putting a Snow Leopard CD in but it had no effect and the CD is stuck inside now.

I've also tried holding down some key combinations I googled, but those had no effect either.

Any idea what I can do about this?
Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Reboot it and hold down the Command and the R keys at the same time. Does it boot to the Recovery partition?
QUOTE Thanks
fredcoper

fredcoper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Reboot it and hold down the Command and the R keys at the same time. Does it boot to the Recovery partition?
OK I just tried it. No, nothing happens it just goes back to the greyed out no entry sign.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The hard drive must have been wiped if you can't access the Recovery partition. Either that, or you have a defective hard drive. The first thing you need to do is get the Snow Leopard DVD to eject. Try rebooting and hold down your mouse button at the same time. The disk should eject.

Once you get the Snow Leopard DVD out and if the optical drive is working OK, you can try booting the machine with it. Hold down the option key as soon as you hear the boot sound - then select the DVD to boot from. Let us know if that works.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« /etc/hosts file not being read | iMac starts up by itself »