upgrading from IOS X 10.6.8
    My wife bought a new MacBook Pro and I have migrated all my stuff from my old Gateway.

Last night I tried to upgrade to Mountain Lion and it says I cannot. I have two questions. First can I upgrade to Lion (10.7.x). If so, where do I get it. THe App store online does not have it listed.

Second, if I can upgrade to Lion, can I then upgrade to Mountain Lion (10.8.x)?

In

Specs:
    27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 6S, iPod Nano 7th GeniPad 3
    Welcome to Mac-Forums

Is this a new MBP or new to you MBP? If a new one from Apple, it should already be running Mountain Lion (10.8.x). If the MBP is within a couple of years, it should be running Lion (10.7.x), it wouldn't be running Snow Leopard (10.6.8).

Either way, Lion is no longer available from the Mac App Store, only Mountain Lion is. As long as your MBP is within the past 3-4 years, you can upgrade to Mountain Lion no problem.

Please click on the Apple logo on the top left and choose About This Mac and tell us what it says..
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.

Lion OS
    THis is a MacBook purchased in '07. When my wife bought a new MacBook Pro a few weeks ago, I took her old machine.

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by kokko View Post
    My wife bought a new MacBook Pro and I have migrated all my stuff from my old Gateway.
    THis is a MacBook purchased in '07. When my wife bought a new MacBook Pro a few weeks ago, I took her old machine.
    Clearly all the info in this situation was not correctly stated in post #1...since there was no mention of TWO Macintosh laptops.

Regardless...the '07 MacBook you mentioned in your 2nd post cannot run OS 10.8...due to it does not meet the hardware requirements. It can run OS 10.7 (Lion)...but it is no longer available from the Mac App Store when Apple released OS 10.8.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thank you Nick. Now I have to find out how to purchase a copy of Lion 10.7.x

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Thank you Nick. Now I have to find out how to purchase a copy of Lion 10.7.x
    As I mentioned Lion (OS 10.7) is no longer available for purchase from the Mac App Store. But...Apple did also sell Lion 10.7...on a USB stick. It's possible that some of these may be for sale on e-Bay. If so...you're in great shape!

Here's one auction for example:

Apple Mac OS x Lion V 10 7 USB Thumb Flash Drive A1384 Genuine | eBay

- Nick

p.s. FYI...for reference...Lion on USB stick originally sold for $69.99. This is just for reference. Since Lion is so hard to get/find...these potentially could sell for a lot higher.
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    If I were you, I would just stick to 10.6.8 on that machine ... it's "old" in computer terms. Apple looks to be continuing support for 10.6.8 for a while yet ... at least another year I would say ... and it will be a while before you can't find apps/updates for 10.6.8, so it's probably the best match for that old machine.

In a couple three years, think about getting a new(er) model for yourself.

Thread Information