New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Applications (or other Finder Folders) in Dock?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

geekboy2000

geekboy2000 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A

Today is my 1 month anniversary as a Mac user, and believe me, I've learned a lot. I was inclined to drag the Applications folder to the dock, with the expectation that I might end up with a cascading folder from which I could more quickly launch apps that aren't already in the dock. As I dragged it though, I noticed what appeared to be the "poof" cloud, and thought better of continuing my experiment. I doubt Apple would let me be that stupid, but better to ask than to be wondering how to recover from my stupidity. So, my goal basically is quick access to Applications and other Finder Folders from the dock, without actually having to fire up Finder. Thanks!

Mark
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

You have to drag it on the side of the trash can

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
geekboy2000

Mac Specs: 20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
You have to drag it on the side of the trash can
Hmm... I just tried that (several times), and it either ends up in the trash can, or "poofing" and vanishing. Fortunately, I see that it's easy enough to re-create it in the sidebar. Maybe I should be dragging it not from the sidebar? Let's see . . . Yes! I was dragging from the sidebar, rather than the Applications folder itsself. Thanks! That's an improvement, but is there any possibility of having what I'll refer to as an "exploding"/cascading menu pop out of the applications folder? I'd like to eliminate the extra step of having to launch the app, and then close the finder window.

Mark
QUOTE Thanks
geekboy2000

A right-click does it! Very slick!
QUOTE Thanks
geekboy2000

As does a long click! I had no idea that a "click and hold" did anything at all! Who needs two buttons? Whoa . . Ya gotta love us new Mac folks, eh?
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Yea since all mac mice up until the mighty mouse were one button the click and hold took the place of a right click

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

also for one button mouse.. if you held controll down it woud "right" click for you aswell.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
geekboy2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerBookG4
also for one button mouse.. if you held controll down it woud "right" click for you aswell.
Thanks! Add that to my just learned "shift while clicking minimize" slo-mo trick, and it's been a good day. I think at least half the fun of a Mac (and Linux when I ran it) is that it's a break from the monotony of the same old O/S. Lots of new stuff to learn, tweak, etc.
QUOTE Thanks
johninc

johninc is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekboy2000
Thanks! Add that to my just learned "shift while clicking minimize" slo-mo trick, and it's been a good day. I think at least half the fun of a Mac (and Linux when I ran it) is that it's a break from the monotony of the same old O/S. Lots of new stuff to learn, tweak, etc.
Wow thats looks sooooo cool I didn't even know that. Learn something new everyday
QUOTE Thanks
fearlessfreap24

fearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekboy2000
i have had my mac for almost year now, and i never knew that. that is pretty cool.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Getting username with PHP or other.... | Converting Images »