New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

kernel panic in mountain lion

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

christophorosk

christophorosk is on a distinguished road

just finished with the AHT
no trouble found...
everything ok with hardware
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by christophorosk View Post
just finished with the AHT
no trouble found...
everything ok with hardware
Good deal - that's a relief. Now, I think my next step would be to start looking at third party software you've added over the years, some of which, you might have forgotten about but are still nested on your machine.

Best bet to do this would be to give your machine a scan with a tool like AppFresh:

AppFresh for Mac

This is a pay-for product, but I believe you can use it in trial mode just to see what's out there and what updates there may be. This may clue you into things that are out of date or otherwise incompatible with 10.8 that might be the culprit. If you can't update, I would recommend uninstalling.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
christophorosk

i did everything above
and it just crashed again
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
i did everything above
and it just crashed again
So, in 32 minutes, you scanned for and updated (or uninstalled) all of your outdated apps?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
christophorosk

most of them were up to date already
QUOTE Thanks
christophorosk

i guess its clean install...
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
most of them were up to date already
OK, next step - let's run Onyx and have it perform all of the maintenance tasks.

Go to the "Automation" tab and let it run all of the default selected tasks.

QUOTE Thanks
christophorosk

in order to run onyx,
do i have to turn off filevault and firewall?
because i get a warning that it is not from an identified developer
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
in order to run onyx,
do i have to turn off filevault and firewall?
because i get a warning that it is not from an identified developer
You'll need to turn off Gatekeeper (temporarily, I would recommend re-enabling it at medium settings later, down the road).

System Preferences => Security & Privacy => General tab => Allow applications downloaded from "anywhere".

QUOTE Thanks
christophorosk

i get this warniing
"The S.M.A.R.T. STATUS was not verified because it is not supported by this disk"
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
i get this warniing
"The S.M.A.R.T. STATUS was not verified because it is not supported by this disk"
Hrmmm... while not a big deal, that is somewhat disconcerting. Go ahead and skip the SMART verification.

QUOTE Thanks
christophorosk

this is horrible
i already run onyx, restarted and 1 min later another crash...
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
this is horrible
i already run onyx, restarted and 1 min later another crash...
OK - I think it's time to shift focus over to doing a clean install.

Make sure you get a good full backup onto an external. I recommend using SuperDuper! or CarbonCopyCloner as opposed to Time Machine for this process. Once you have that, if you need further guidance on formatting the disk and starting clean and later re-importing your apps/data/docs, let me know .

QUOTE Thanks
christophorosk

why shouldnt i use time machine and if i use one of the other softwares should i use another external rather the one i have for time machine back-ups ?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
why shouldnt i use time machine and if i use one of the other softwares should i use another external rather the one i have for time machine back-ups ?
You can use Time Machine if you like. The reason I like SD! or CCC is that they create a bootable backup drive. So, if you need to revert back for whatever reason, you can do so instantly.

Yes, you'd need to use a different external (or you could potentially repartition the external if you had the space to do so).

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« problem with OS X 10.4 | Help! IMAC video buttons play/pause are reversed! »