New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Deleting files permanently

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden is on a distinguished road

Hi, hope someone can help me. There were 2 files I downloaded from my e mail recently (jpeg and rar) and I need to make sure they are permanently gone. I haven't realised that once you clear it from your HD they are still recoverable. I have made sure they are gone from all folders and I emptied trash then (not secure option) . if I perform a search now, they do not show.
I have looked up the tutorials on you tube but they all seem to show you how to delete files permanently whilst you still have them. Does anyone know what I am I supposed to do to make sure they are gone forever but they don't appear on my HD?

Thanks (mac book pro)
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Do a "Secure Empty" trash. Press the "Command" key before emptying the trash.

- Nick

p.s. Thread moved to more appropriate location. Not really a "Switcher Hangout" topic.

Thanks

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Location: Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
IWT is a jewel in the roughIWT is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Lion) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Mavericks)

Dear Iron Maiden

Your problem is that you have already (non-securely) trashed the two items. Thus Nick's excellent advice is more for the future.

I don't know of any way of (a) finding these items and then (b) re-erasing them permanently.

As an extreme measure, I suppose that you could reformat your HD & re-install your OS. But to do this you first need to back up all your folders, photos etc, etc. In my understanding of things — others may advise differently — neither Time Machine nor a Cloning application will do, as there's the theoretical risk of copying back the items from these, after the reformat and re-installation.

Again, in theory, you could just back up all your current folders, data etc to an EHD and the use Migration Assistant to copy these back afterwards. But you would lose all your settings, preferences and so on.

Can it really be worth all of this?

I honestly can't see a practical solution. Sorry. Open to more experienced users to offer more constructive suggestions.

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
halo200

halo200 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro 2.0Ghz i7 8GB AMD 6490M 256OCZ Vertex 4 SSD | iPhone 5S 16GB

Open up Disk Utility and do an erase free space on the hard drive if you've already deleted the files, that should overwrite the files and make them unrecoverable

I find the best way to locate rogue DHCP servers is to send 240V down the appropriate port. Follow the smoke.
QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Lion) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Mavericks)

halo200

I was thinking about this too, but previous threads have suggested that (a) this doesn't work and (b) could mess with the HD.

I think I can recall chscag, in particular advising against such an action. But I can't quickly find my references to support this.

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden is on a distinguished road

My understanding is that anyone with free recovery software downloaded from the internet can re cover anything I ever deleted, is it that simple?
Yes I can see a total reinstalation of the OS is a bit of a hassle. I could store everything from the HD and install it back again,but that is a bit extreme I suppose.
QUOTE Thanks
IWT

My suggestion is that you do nothing till others have chipped in with their suggestions.

Whatever you try is, in a way, extreme. Hence my point about just how important this is to you. Naturally, these are private matters for you and not us.

I don't think things are as straightforward as you may feel and I desperately don't want you to lose vital data in a perilous attempt at rectification.

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWT View Post

I was thinking about this too, but previous threads have suggested that (a) this doesn't work and (b) could mess with the HD.

I think I can recall chscag, in particular advising against such an action. But I can't quickly find my references to support this.
I use TechTool Pro to erase free space every once in awhile. It does no harm.
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

Quote:
My understanding is that anyone with free recovery software downloaded from the internet can re cover anything I ever deleted, is it that simple?
Possibly, but they'd have to get hold of your computer first, plus they'd also have to know that those two files are on there. How likely is that?
QUOTE Thanks
halo200

halo200 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro 2.0Ghz i7 8GB AMD 6490M 256OCZ Vertex 4 SSD | iPhone 5S 16GB

Can you not just enable FileVault while your at it? Even if they manage to get hold of the drive it will all still be encrypted will it not?

I find the best way to locate rogue DHCP servers is to send 240V down the appropriate port. Follow the smoke.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Internet Sharing Status | How to create package from command line? »