New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

obtaining a permission

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

frogstomper

frogstomper is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac, Lion; MacBookPro, Snow Leopard

Hello

I am a new member to this forum. I have almost no experience with forums in general, so I hope I don't violate any protocol.

I own an iMac (6 years old) updated to Lion with several external drives. Recently my wife dropped one of those external HDDs (2Tb WD HDD) and crashed the drive...it happened to be the one with all my important information, documents and life's history way back into the 1985 era. I took the HDD to Data Doctors and they were able to retrieve and restore the files and folders to a new 3Tb WD MyBookLive HDD.

The problem I am having is that when I attempt to access a folder I get an error message stating that I do not have permission to open the folder. I check the INFO and the permission box reads "Custom", and I cannot change it to "Read and Write", again no permission. I cannot move or copy the folders to another drive.

However, I can open files on the root volume just like always. I just cannot open folders to access the files within.

I have tried all I know to do to obtain the 'permission' required, but have failed. Can some good person out there help me with this?

A side note: Data Doctors knew very little about Mac computers. I am sure they retrieved my info from the HDD with a Windows PC. I cannot see how this would affect permissions since I can read the exposed files, just can't open folders.

Thank you for any help you can garner for me.

frogstomper
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Try logging onto your machine as "root" and see if you can adjust the permissions that way. See this Apple KB article on how to setup the "root" user on your machine: LINK

A word of caution here.... don't attempt to do anything else while logged on as root since it has "super powers" and can make changes to the system which may cause your machine to not boot. Only try to change the permissions on those folders and when you're through, reboot and log on normally.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« imovie help | Please help mid 10 macbook pro rebooting randomly »