New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Various Problems with my Macbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

theoallen

theoallen is on a distinguished road

Hey
I have been having a lot of issues with my macbook recently, and I have a feeling that they are all related. And any help to resolve them would be much appreciated!

The first problem I've been having is the start up. My macbook takes about 15 minutes to start up, where it is just stuck on the white screen with an Apple logo. I have absolutely no applications set to run at start up, so that isn't the problem.

My next problem is the macbook freezing. Every time I open a new application, or even open a new tab in Google Chrome, my macbook freezes for a minute or so, and I get the spinning beach ball. At which point, I can't click anything, not even able to force quit the application that has caused it to freeze. Like i said, it does it with any application, so it's not a specific application thats causing it.

Another problem is the macbook running very slow in general. If I am lucky in opening a new application, and the macbook doesn't freeze, then it does still tend to go incredibly slow, and open the application much slower than it should.

These problems just came a long randomly, and wasn't due to me installing any new applications or anything. Also, I have checked my CPU and there is nothing there which is using up a lot of CPU or anything, My hard-drive is also not the problem, as I have a 250gb hard drive, and am using only about 180gb of it. My RAM is 4gb, so it shouldn't be bad at all. I am running OSX Lion, but don't have an install CD as i downloaded it off the macbook Apple Store.

The solutions that I have already tried for these are resetting PRAM and resetting SMC, but no difference. Any help would be much appreciated! Thank You!
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

Startup using the recovery partition -
How to Boot into OS X Lion’s Recovery HD Partition

Repair the hard drive using Disk Utility, and tell us what it says.
QUOTE Thanks
theoallen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsahli View Post
Startup using the recovery partition -
How to Boot into OS X Lion’s Recovery HD Partition

Repair the hard drive using Disk Utility, and tell us what it says.
Ok I did that, and got the message "The volume Macintosh HD appears to be OK." So I guess that's not the problem.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Do a permissions repair as well with Disk Utility

And how much spare hard disk space have you got and how much RAM is installed

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? – use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
theoallen

Quote:
Originally Posted by louishen View Post
Do a permissions repair as well with Disk Utility

And how much spare hard disk space have you got and how much RAM is installed
The permissions repair gives me the message "Warning: SUID file "System/Library/Core5...as been modified and will not be repaired."
What does that mean?

And I have 250gb hard disk space with 50gb free. RAM is 4gb.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Try applying the combo update, that often refreshes an OS install

OS X Lion Update 10.7.5 (Client Combo)

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? – use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
theoallen

Quote:
Originally Posted by louishen View Post
Try applying the combo update, that often refreshes an OS install

OS X Lion Update 10.7.5 (Client Combo)
This has sped it up a little bit, but it is still way slower than it should be. Any other ideas?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Removing icons from desktop | Hard drive replacement »