New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.3 - Machine freeze when booting up

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vers

When my machine starts to boot up, first there is a globe that keeps blinking, and then a ? mark over a folder. After it goes thru that, then it brings up the apple, with the load circle, the load circle then freezes and nothing. Or sometimes I will get prompted to reboot my machine in 3 or 4 different launguages.
I tried starting up my machine and holding down the Command & V, then i get the following error:
Can not map module files (multiple files)
Cant check loader address of modules (multiple files)
A Link/Load error occured for Kernel Extension.
WARNING Block on volume (hard drive name) not allocated.

I have an IBook G4 1.2....

Can anyone help with this issue, I dont care if I have to wipe out the computer and reinstall OS X...

if more info is needed, ask and I will retrieve what ever I can.
Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Normally when you see the globe (earth), the system is searching for a start up drive. In this case a network boot disk. My guess, is that you may have a corrupted system. Can you start the system in single user mode? Reboot the system when you hear the chords, press command-s.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
vers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman
Normally when you see the globe (earth), the system is searching for a start up drive. In this case a network boot disk. My guess, is that you may have a corrupted system. Can you start the system in single user mode? Reboot the system when you hear the chords, press command-s.

Yes it allowed me to boot in single user mode, now its asking for localhostroot#
what do I do from there?
THanks alot...
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Okay part of your OS is working fine. You should have seen a line with something like /sbin/fsck and so on. I forget what the exact line is. Run that command at least twice to fix any disk problems. Once that is done, enter exit at the problem. Your system should continue to bitt up. Hopefully, it will come all the way up. Once it is completely up. GO to system preferences and make sure your start up disk is pointing to your system disk.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
vers

Ok I tried to runt he command /sbin/fsck -y I got the following message:
root file system
checking HFS plus volume
invalid extent entry
(6, 58342894)
volume check failed

does that mean anything, and what should I do next...
Again thanks for even taking time out of your day to answer these questions...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Just Install 10.3 and din't erase 9 Can I..?? | It's not THAT intuitive! »