Cant find remote directory using find
    Im wanting to copy the directories inside a particular directory (rather than its contents) which resides on a server using terminal. The following code is perfect or near enough for what I want...

find "PATH_TO_ORIG_DIR" -type d -depth -print | cpio -pd "PATH_TO_CURRENT DIR"

To grab the actual path of both directories, I just dumped the folder into textEdit which gives me the path in plain text, then I copy and paste this into the command above. For a directory that exists locally I have no problems, but for one that exists on "/Volumes/Server...." terminal reports the directory doesnt exists.

I dont think its a firewall because I can navigate using finder to the same directory and I am also currently connected to this directory. The path itself mirrors exactly the same one that reads at the top of the finder window of the directory I have navigated to myself.

Any ideas?

Specs:
    27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 6S, iPod Nano 7th GeniPad 3
    Can you do a "ls /Volumes/Servers/<path name>" where <path name> is the directory of your choice and have it show a valid directory with its contents?
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.

It insists the directory does not exist, however I can cd into the directory. Im wondering if spaces in the path name need backslashing? I wouldve thought wrapping the path around quotations would make backslash redundant. As luck would have it right the backslash key on my keyboard doesnt work so I cant conveniently check this right now! Having said that the path_to_ folder on my local drive has spaces also and terminal doesnt seem to mind.

What is your opinion?

Specs:
    27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 6S, iPod Nano 7th GeniPad 3
    Yes spaces need to be backslashed, but using the quotes should get around that. Not sure why it would having a problem with that..
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.

Thread Information