New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

PowerMac G5 frequent Kernel Panics?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mamamia

Mamamia is on a distinguished road

I have a late-2005 G5 which has been behaving badly lately. 6 months ago I upgraded from Tiger 10.4.11 to Leopard 10.5.8 and soon after it started going thru those bad crashes, though I'm not at all sure upgrading to Leopard is connected.

I'm not sure this is a real Kernel Panic, but almost every time I do a regular restart, few hours later, always around or after midnight, I can hear my Mac's fans blowing hard, and a red LED light shows up behind the power button. Trying to restart again, I'm having trouble getting the Mac to restart normally, the red LED shines and after a while the fans start blowing again. I have to go thru 2-3 more cycles, till my Mac starts up normally again.

Last night, when it happened again, I open the metal lid and shot a picture...

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/att...1&d=1350415075

....Any clue?..... Thanks so much !!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mac-Crashing.jpg (679.8 KB, 18 views)
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

If I'm interpreting that right, that's LED #7, and it being on means there is a hardware failure (don't know what).
About the Power Mac G5 (Late 2005) diagnostic LEDs
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Looks like one of the processors has tossed it in.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Mamamia

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsahli View Post
If I'm interpreting that right, that's LED #7, and it being on means there is a hardware failure (don't know what).
About the Power Mac G5 (Late 2005) diagnostic LEDs

I don't think it's any of the LEDs Apple is listing. Below is a wider photo that shows the DIMS on the right. As far as I understand those LEDs are next and to the left to those DIMS. The shining LED in my case is in a different location, much closer to the power0button...

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/att...1&d=1350430827
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mac-Crashing-wide.jpg (1.36 MB, 17 views)
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

From the picture it's still not clear to me -- but LED806 CHECKSTOP is the #7 LED.
QUOTE Thanks
Mamamia

YES, you guys were right. See, when I opened the lid to take the picture it was in the middle of the night. I now opened the lid again in broad daylight, and of course, I now see where my DIMS are, 2 just above the lit LED, and 2 below (outside the photo)....

SO, what do you guys suggest I do now, before taking my Mac to repair, which means time down and money spent?........ Thanks !
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
SO, what do you guys suggest I do now, before taking my Mac to repair, which means time down and money spent?........ Thanks !
Did you read the link that member Harry provided? If your problem is the same as was described in the Apple Discussions Forum (and it appears it is), it may be time to buy a new machine. The G5 is outdated and probably not worth repairing. It was a great machine in its day, but maybe it's time to move on?
QUOTE Thanks
Mamamia

Yes, he kept replacing parts and it didn't work, but he had Apple Care, so I guess it didn't cost him money, just the inconvenience...

My problem is, I'm strapped for money, right now... Real bad....

The question is, can I keep going with this, for a while, at least... The crashes happen only after I do a restart, few hours later, around midnight or later during the night, so there is a pattern here... But then once I shut down and try restarting the next morning I have a hard time with the restart, need to try several times till it does restart normally... Otherwise the Mac works fine...
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Sadly if the diagnosis is correct it will get worse and finally throw the towel in altogether.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Entourage to Mail | iPad iOS »