New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

opening screens frozen

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

joyss

joyss is on a distinguished road

Since updating to 10.8.2, I've had many opening screens frozen. The only cure is "pulling out the plug" and putting it back. Any suggestions, please.
(*_*)
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

That's not really enough info to go on. Need more troubleshooting.
Have you tried booting from the recovery partition and using Disk Utility to repair the drive?
- hold option key down after restart to get the boot volume menu.
Or, a Safe Boot (which also repairs the drive)?
- hold shift key down after restart gong sound, until you see the progress indicator. If no errors are reported, try a normal restart next.
QUOTE Thanks
joyss

Sorry about the late reply. Yes, I used the disk utility from the recovery partition, and also started with the 10.8 disk and used the disk utility from there. I also used Onyx and CleanMyMac. I will try the shift key test now. Thanx. (*_*)
QUOTE Thanks
joyss

I tried the safe boot and no errors were reported. (*_*)
QUOTE Thanks
joyss

P.S.
I'm not sure this has anything to do with the frozen screen problem - but perhaps?
When I first updated to 10.8 " Contacts" did not have my addresses. After help from Apple support and using Time Machine, I found them again. However, since that time, whenever I open up the iMac, a Text message appears that is in some form of programming language. Many times I cannot quit it and have to restart. It does appear when the screen is frozen.
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyss View Post
... a Text message appears that is in some form of programming language. Many times I cannot quit it and have to restart. It does appear when the screen is frozen.
It would be Very unusual for some sort of programming language text to appear. Please, write down the exact message and tell us what it is.
QUOTE Thanks
joyss

There are many pages of stuff. I'm sending the beginning and the end.

bookmark88 $…A˘ $ Applications Contacts.app∆◊z<LAŒ  Macintosh HD∆◊A∞6ˆ$46BF72AF-36B0-3E58-8EEB-AE761D4B4315??/b$icns$bTOC his32s8mkic11

ending with

W@!P@!P@!P<Dj
B†(
B†(
B†(
ˇπj∆Ÿ∑ Macintosh HD∆C∂H+∆ Contacts.app◊D Applications∆{ˆ∆ ˇˇ˛ˇˇˇ∞˛
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

OK, that's not a programming language. But it does appear that your contacts file is corrupted.
Did this start happening before or after using CleanMyMac?
I think you're going to end up reinstalling Contacts and re-importing your contacts.
If there's an Apple store nearby, I'd go to them for help.
QUOTE Thanks
joyss

It happened after Apple helped me regain my contacts. Now, my LaCie backup unit does not show up on the finder. Oh well, I'll contact Apple again. Thanks for the help. (*_*)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Installation of OSX SL after cleaning discs | Help! iMovie shuts down on export »