New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

139 GB of "other" on my hard drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ScubaDachshund

ScubaDachshund is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iPhone4, MBP

My 250GB MBP hard drive only has 50GB left free. I was deleting some old files trying to free up some hard drive space. I noticed that the largest part of what was on my hard drive was marked as "other." What is under this category and can it be deleted?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

No, it can't be deleted. Unless maybe you "want" to delete the operating system.

Everything that is not in one of the listed categories is in the "other" category.

All your system files, documents, spread sheets, preferences, mail, contacts and anything else you can think of that is not music, movies, photos and apps. See here for a longer list.

Not to say there wouldn't be some things in that "other" category that can be deleted, but you better know what it is you're deleting.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
ScubaDachshund

So the operating system is taking up half of the hard drive?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

No but other could mean anything, if you really want to see what is sucking up space try using Disk Inventory X

Disk Inventory X

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
ScubaDachshund

Thanks! I'll give it a try.
QUOTE Thanks
ed724

ed724 is on a distinguished road

Type in the following: (change orange text to your user account name)

cd /Users/"your account name here" return

nohup du -sh * > /Users/"your account name here"/Desktop/space.txt &

Wait about 2 or 3 minutes then open the file space.txt which should be on your desktop. You'll see a list of the sub directories and the amount of space they are using.

example:

4.0K #.profile#
1.3G ATVimage
16K Application Support
8.0K Applications
7.7G Desktop
100G Documents
8.0K Downloads
52K Emergency Records.edf
8.0K Faxes
4.0K IEC 61966-2.1 Default RGB .icc
19G Library
17G Movies
38G Music
4.0K NavisphereLocale.xml
4.0K NavisphereNAPersistence.xml
18G Pictures
0B Profiles
2.8M Public
632K Sites
24K Total Solar Eclipse 8:21:17
28M Utilities
20K emc
64K shsh
36K umbrella0.log

typically you can remove items from the directories in bold above. If you know how to use terminal with root access, you can see the rest of the disk. If not then it's too dangerous to venture there without knowing what you're doing.

http://fairtax.org/
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« screenshots | Mac shutting down unexpectedly »