New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

How can I cancel a specific software update?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Lightcraftsman

Lightcraftsman is a jewel in the roughLightcraftsman is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch 2014 Retina MacBook Pro, 2012 Mac Mini, 160GB iPod Classic, iPhone 5

I'm running OS 10.8.2 on my mid-2001 21.5-inch iMac. Now that software updates happen through the App Store I cannot figure out how to cancel updates of software I do not want. I have a Brother laser printer and Software Update wants to install new HP printer drivers. I would appreciate it if someone could tell me how to cancel updates for specific software. I searched the Internet but found nothing on doing this in Mountain Lion.

"It's got to come from the heart, if you want it to work."
Guy Clark

Light Craftsman website
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

For what it is worth same with an Epson. Whenever switched on up comes the software update image but cannot load. Just ignore it.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Right click it > Hide Update. That'll do the trick.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Lightcraftsman

Mac Specs: 15-inch 2014 Retina MacBook Pro, 2012 Mac Mini, 160GB iPod Classic, iPhone 5

Doh! I tried, but the double-tap on my Magic Trackpad didn't work. Am I going to have to connect a mouse every time Software Update wants to install stuff I don't need?

Guy Clark

Light Craftsman website
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose so but the bigger issue would be the inability to right click at all.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Hold the Control Button (I think--Or maybe Shift. I do it all the time but don't remember unless I'm using it which) and click the TrackPad to right click.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Lightcraftsman

I'll try that next time. In the interim I'm going to dig inside my system folders and delete all the extraneous printer drivers. I hate having all those little files mucking up my nightly backups.

Guy Clark

Light Craftsman website
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightcraftsman View Post
I'll try that next time. In the interim I'm going to dig inside my system folders and delete all the extraneous printer drivers. I hate having all those little files mucking up my nightly backups.
For the love of all that is good, don't do that. If you search the forums, you'll see that messing around outside the user folder is a bad idea. You're much better off just excluding these directories from your backups.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Lightcraftsman

OK. I'll take your word on this one. If it ain't broke don't go trying to fix it.

Guy Clark

Light Craftsman website
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Glad I got you in time.

Unless you are very knowledgable about the filesystem and file layout of OS X, it's best to avoid fooling around outside of the comforts of the user directory. The results can be disastrous otherwise.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Lightcraftsman

I am very knowledgeable about the file system and layout of OS X, but you are right: no need to go changing a system that is working.

Guy Clark

Light Craftsman website
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Error Message | Messed up my wife's Mac Mini »