New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Problems with pdf downloads

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Alwyn

Alwyn is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 500 Gb HD OS X 10.9.3; iPad Mini iOS 7.1.1;iPhone 3GS 6.1.6

I have been experiencing difficulties with downloading pdfs recently. In Firefox (version 16.0.1) the page just appears as a blank white screen. In Safari I get the image but cannot save it as a pdf.

Although the default pdf reader/writer is the standard one I also have Acrobat Reader to read certain documents that can only be read with Acrobat.

I have read the answers to similar problems given to rmarsh0703 in July but I can't see how to disable Adobe in Safari.

Can anyone help please?
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Are you left-clicking on the PDFs or saving them with a right-click? If the former, then switch using the latter and save the file and then open it in Preview or Adobe Reader..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
Alwyn

Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 500 Gb HD OS X 10.9.3; iPad Mini iOS 7.1.1;iPhone 3GS 6.1.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
Are you left-clicking on the PDFs or saving them with a right-click? If the former, then switch using the latter and save the file and then open it in Preview or Adobe Reader..
Thanks for your help. Message keeps on vanishing so this is 3rd retype!

I tried right clicking at download prompt, then chose 'Save link as' (Preview already showing as default).

I wonder why it no longer works the way it used to.

Having been obliged to use Safari which is default for iPhone I may well migrate to it permanently.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Adobe Reader's plugin only works with Safari so that won't be causing the issue with Firefox. However, it might be causing issues with Safari. In the Reader preferences, under the Internet category, there should be an option to enable/disable it. Try disabling it, relaunch Safari, and try again.

Do you have any PDF reader extension or plugin installed for Firefox? If so, disable each of them (if there are multiple) one at a time to find the problematic one.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Alwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Adobe Reader's plugin only works with Safari so that won't be causing the issue with Firefox. However, it might be causing issues with Safari. In the Reader preferences, under the Internet category, there should be an option to enable/disable it. Try disabling it, relaunch Safari, and try again.

Do you have any PDF reader extension or plugin installed for Firefox? If so, disable each of them (if there are multiple) one at a time to find the problematic one.
A guy from the Firefox forum came up with the solution. In Firefox Preferences/Applications Adobe Reader plugin was showing as the default for Preview documents. I suppose that that must have crept in when I had to install Adobe Reader to open a UK Government Form. Presumably, because it only works with Safari, that's why I couldn't open the files.

Thanks for your help.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problem restoring from Time Machine in Snow Leopard software | OS 10.4 & ipod classic »