Startup disk is almost full
    Hello
    I have just started working in Pixelmator digital art program, and have received message " Your startup disk is almost full" and advice to get rid of some files. - I am not quite sure of what to do. Grateful for any advice.
    I am using an iMac OSX 10.6.8.

Thanks

Specs:
    27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 6S, iPod Nano 7th GeniPad 3
    First empty the Trash if you haven't done so. Then go through folders like Downloads and so on and remove files you don't need anymore. Then grab an application like Disk Inventory X and run it on your HD to figure out where all the space is going.

Anything that needs to be saved, move it to an external media or delete what you don't want.

Having your startup disk become full will cause OS X to misbehave is all sorts of ways, all the way to not working at all..
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.

Quote Originally Posted by toymaker1 View Post
    Hello
    I have just started working in Pixelmator digital art program, and have received message " Your startup disk is almost full" and advice to get rid of some files. - I am not quite sure of what to do. Grateful for any advice.
    I am using an iMac OSX 10.6.8.

Thanks
    Hi,

Go Applications>Utlities>Disk Utility, highlight the Macintosh HD drive and check the capacity figures down below. If you are maxxed out then you will need to archive some files and Pictures and Movies are generally the biggest culprits, unless you have ripped all your music in a large lossless format as well?

Don't go deleting any of the OSX proprietary apps because they take up next to nothing and it can cause you problems if you do.

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Quote Originally Posted by pendlewitch View Post
    Don't go deleting any of the OSX proprietary apps because they take up next to nothing and it can cause you problems if you do.
    In other words, only delete content that is in your home folder. You'll also want to refrain from deleting anything that you didn't consciously put there.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Quote Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
    In other words, only delete content that is in your home folder. You'll also want to refrain from deleting anything that you didn't consciously put there.
    Thanks for replies.
    I have just used "CleanMyMac", which freed up 3GB of space. Seems ok for the time being. - things are working again now.

Cheers.

Thread Information