New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Startup disk is almost full

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

toymaker1

toymaker1 is on a distinguished road

Hello
I have just started working in Pixelmator digital art program, and have received message " Your startup disk is almost full" and advice to get rid of some files. - I am not quite sure of what to do. Grateful for any advice.
I am using an iMac OSX 10.6.8.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

First empty the Trash if you haven't done so. Then go through folders like Downloads and so on and remove files you don't need anymore. Then grab an application like Disk Inventory X and run it on your HD to figure out where all the space is going.

Anything that needs to be saved, move it to an external media or delete what you don't want.

Having your startup disk become full will cause OS X to misbehave is all sorts of ways, all the way to not working at all..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by toymaker1 View Post
Hello
I have just started working in Pixelmator digital art program, and have received message " Your startup disk is almost full" and advice to get rid of some files. - I am not quite sure of what to do. Grateful for any advice.
I am using an iMac OSX 10.6.8.

Thanks
Hi,

Go Applications>Utlities>Disk Utility, highlight the Macintosh HD drive and check the capacity figures down below. If you are maxxed out then you will need to archive some files and Pictures and Movies are generally the biggest culprits, unless you have ripped all your music in a large lossless format as well?

Don't go deleting any of the OSX proprietary apps because they take up next to nothing and it can cause you problems if you do.

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen, ATV2.
MOTM October 2012. These days normally happy with an occasional grumble.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendlewitch View Post
Don't go deleting any of the OSX proprietary apps because they take up next to nothing and it can cause you problems if you do.
In other words, only delete content that is in your home folder. You'll also want to refrain from deleting anything that you didn't consciously put there.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
toymaker1

toymaker1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
In other words, only delete content that is in your home folder. You'll also want to refrain from deleting anything that you didn't consciously put there.
Thanks for replies.
I have just used "CleanMyMac", which freed up 3GB of space. Seems ok for the time being. - things are working again now.

Cheers.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac os | Groups to use with ACLs? »