New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Multiple Computers OSX Mountain Lion? help!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

schulzey

schulzey is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone,
I recently bought a mac mini on ebay and it was loaded with osx lion. I upgraded the system to osx mountain lion by purchasing it from the app store. As it turns out, this mac didn't work out for me and I've decided to go with a macbook air for more portability. Therefore, this computer will be sold back on ebay when I get around to it.

On apple's website it states that you can upgrade multiple computers with osx mountain lion. Once mountain lion is installed I'm assuming there is no going back since this mac mini doesn't have a disc drive. Is it legal to upgrade a computers operating system and then sell it? If this is the okay, why aren't all apples with sufficient hardware requirements on ebay ready to go with mountain lion? I know you can install it on multiple computers but I'm trying to make sure that this is legal and ethical.

Please help.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

AS long as you have purchased Mountain Lion then its entirely legal for you to sell it on with that OS installed

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
schulzey

schulzey is on a distinguished road

Okay, thanks. It just seems odd that all the resellers on ebay wouldn't upgrade the computers with mountain lion osx if it's free to upgrade unlimited macs once you've purchased.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by schulzey View Post
Okay, thanks. It just seems odd that all the resellers on ebay wouldn't upgrade the computers with mountain lion osx if it's free to upgrade unlimited macs once you've purchased.
As an individual user…once you've purchased ML...you're allowed to ONLY install ML on the Macintosh computers you own in your own household.

Resellers on e-Bay are a completely different matter. To be in compliance…they would either need to purchase some sort of multi-user/volume site license…or purchase a separate $19 ML upgrade for each computer they sell.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Any good | iBook G4 upgrade »