New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Installed new drive. Installed Max OSX 6.8.3. Will not recognize Starup Disk.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Torchardy

Torchardy is on a distinguished road

Installed new drive. Installed Max OSX 6.8.3. Will not recognize Starup Disk when restart?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

OK, first I have to ask.... what is OS X 6.8.3? There is no such version of OS X. Are you referring to Snow Leopard 10.6.8?

As for the startup disk, make sure you're using the proper one. You either need a retail version of OS X or the startup disk that was included in the box with your Mac. (Also tell us which Mac you have.)
QUOTE Thanks
Torchardy

I am using Mac 0SX Version 10.6.8. I installed a new 1 TB drive into my MacBook Pro. I had to reinstall Mac OSX Snow Leopard. After that I upgraded to the latest version of Snow Leopard 10.6.8. Everything works fine until I restart the MacBook Pro. When I restart it after closing it down it will not restart because it cannot find the Startup Disk.

I used Disk Utility to repair system preferences which it did. I ran a system repair. But still no luck in restarting my MacBook Pro.

I hope this give you more information.

Thanks, Carl
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
When I restart it after closing it down it will not restart because it cannot find the Startup Disk.
OK, we now have a bit more to go on... Does your MBP start at all? Can you start it up when booting from your Snow Leopard DVD? Also, does it fail to boot all the time from the new hard drive or is it intermittent?

The reason for the above questions is that the SATA ribbon cable which goes from the hard drive connector to the logic board is suspect here. It's quite common for that cable to fail in older MacBooks and MacBook Pro machines. Let us know.
QUOTE Thanks
Torchardy

My MacBook Pro starts up with the DVD Snow Leopard Disk. And once I reinstall the operating system and all of the upgrades the MacBook Pro works fine. When I try to restart the computer once I have shut it down it will not restart. Is there a Startup Application I can install. Maybe the Startup App is not working correctly?

Thanks for your help in this very frustrating situation.

Carl.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

When booted from the disc, leave the Installer and go to Utilities > Disk Utility and run Repair Disk and see what is reported. All the signs of sick hard drive, or more likely with installing the new drive, the SATA cable has fractured. They become brittle with heat and age. Always a good idea to replace the cable when replacing a hard drive.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Torchardy

Thanks for the information. I have run the Repair Disk on the Installer disk. It shows that the drive is in good shape. Therefore, maybe it is the SATA cable. Then maybe I should get a new cable and install that?

Thanks for your input. Very helpful. Carl.
QUOTE Thanks
Torchardy

Where can I get a SATA cable for replacement?

Carl.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

You might try ifixit.com for both parts and instructions. Other sources obviously, but that is one I am familiar with.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Or even Google it as you have not supplied model details and they do vary.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Quote:
Where can I get a SATA cable for replacement?
Have your exact model number on hand and check these two websites as they both stock the part:

iFixit: The free repair manual

Mac Repair - Mac Parts and Service for Apple Macbook, iPhone, iPad
QUOTE Thanks
Torchardy

I got the SATA hard drive cable and installed it. Unfortunately it did not correct the problem. I reinstalled the Mac OSX Snow Panther using my installer program disk. I upgraded to OSX 10.6.8. Everything works fine until I shut down the computer correctly and then restart by pushing the start button. It acts like it is going to restart then a O with a slash comes up which I am sure means it cannot read or find the startup disk. There has to be some solution to this problem. I have tried a lot of the traditional cures, like resetting the PRAM, taking the battery out, etc with no luck. I need some other answers.

Thanks for any input.

Carl
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

The only other option I can suggest at this point is to make a Genius Bar appointment and get a diagnosis and repair quote.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Torchardy

I need some more answers and input. I have tried everything suggested to correct the problem.
My MacBook Pro's (2) work fine with the current drives I have installed. I recently purchased a 1 TB Hitachi internal drive. I installed Mac OSX 10.6.8 on the Hitachi. I then installed the new internal 1 TB Hitachi drive. Everything worked fine when I started up the newly installed drive. The new drive startup disk in the Preferences shows up fine for the new drive. The problem I have is when I shut down the MacBook Pro with the new drive in place and proceed to restart the MacBook Pro. When I do this I get a 0 with a slash showing that the startup disk cannot be found. What is the problem. I know it has to be something in the installation of Mac OSX 10.6.8 on the new updated drive. Is there something software with the 10.6.8 I can also install which will take care of the problem, or what?

Carl
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Iphoto | virus in entourage »