New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Macbook hard drive upgrade

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Muffin Button

Muffin Button is on a distinguished road

Recently my mac book hard drive has stopped working and i found a decent hard drive which i am willing to buy. This is the Hard Drive: Amazon.com: Western Digital 320 GB Black SATA II 7200 RPM 16 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Notebook Hard Drive: Electronics

will this work on my mac ?

Specs: 2009 mac book
intel core 2 Duo
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
I just realised this cant be shipped where i lived i'll post the new hard drive i find*

will this hard drive be able to work on my mac?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

That drive should work fine on a 2009 Macbook. I know some of the early MB's had issues with some SATA 2 drives but since yours is a later Macbook, should work fine.
QUOTE Thanks
Muffin Button

Sorry for the delay i found this drive : Newegg.com - Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD3200BPVT 320GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive will this work bare in mind this is a early 2009 macbook february

i also found this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136278
QUOTE Thanks
Muffin Button

I found this drive:Newegg.com - Western Digital Scorpio Black WD1600BEKT 160GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive

will this work bare in mind my mac is a early 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Muffin Button

I have a early 2009 macbook and my hard drive recently broke and i want to get it replaced

Specs: Macbook 2009 (early)
intel core duo
2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Hard drive: Newegg.com - Western Digital Scorpio Black WD1600BEKT 160GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive

thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Let's not start a new thread with the same subject. I merged your post with the thread you already started.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

That drive should work. If you want to be sure and safe, give OWC a try as all their drives are guaranteed to work on a given mac model.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memor...ade/DDR3_White

Is your Macbook Aluminum or white plastic?
QUOTE Thanks
Muffin Button

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
That drive should work. If you want to be sure and safe, give OWC a try as all their drives are guaranteed to work on a given mac model.

Apple MacBook Unibody 2.4GHz 2.26GHz Memory up to 8 GB of Ram | Hard Drive Upgrade and Video Installation Guide

Is your Macbook Aluminum or white plastic?

White plastic and sorry for double posting
QUOTE Thanks
Muffin Button

Hi i found this : OWC 53IM2DDR4GBK 4.0GB Kit (2.0GB+2.0GB) PC2-5300... in stock at OWC

now OWC says that my mac can hold at least 6gb im not really sure though so would this RAM work with my mac along with the hard drive?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Are you sure you have a 2009 Macbook? What is the Model number and ID? The ID I am talking about would say 1.1, 2.1, 3.1, 4.1, 5.1 ETC. If yours for sure only takes 6GB it's not a 2009.

Find and post that info please. The model should be silk screened on the bottom somewhere.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1635?v...S&locale=en_US

Under the battery is the EMC number.
QUOTE Thanks
Muffin Button

My mac is certain 5,2 model i might not get the RAM but I'm looking for some more hard drives :

Basically a year ago apple repaired my hard drive broke in the first 6 months but kept on working just really slow. i noticed changes in games and performance.

*will post more hard drives i find *

the serial number at the back of my mac has been torn :/

also will this drive work: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136279
the only difference is its smaller than the this drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...a30f501e2fc093
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

You don't have to keep posting hard drives.... any 2.5" SATA notebook drive will work. Just make sure it's 2.5" wide and no more than 9.5MM thick. Also, if you go to Other World Computing, they outline which drives and what memory will work in your MB.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

That is what I was trying to convey to him about OWC. With they you know it will work or they will take care of it for you!
QUOTE Thanks
Muffin Button

Thanks for your help and sorry for being a pain (apparently) I just wasn't sure about something.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

That's OK. We're not trying to discourage you, just want to make you aware of where you can shop with confidence, and Other World Computing is top notch.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Deleting photos (cached?) from the internet | iphoto »