New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Upgrading to Mountain Lion

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kagas

kagas is on a distinguished road

I have a 5 year old iMac running OS 10.4.11 and recently purchased an ipad. To use iCloud I apparently need to upgrade to OS X Mountain Lion. All the info. I can find on the web requires a later OS than what I have. What do I have to do to do the upgrade?
QUOTE Thanks
MacsWork

MacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really nice
Mac Specs: Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3

Technically you'd need to obtain Snow Leopard media which Apple has removed from the supply chain. Then upgrade to Mountain Lion through the App Store since they have also removed Lion from availability.

A gentle reminder to all Mac users would be to always buy the upgrade, even if you don't plan on upgrading right away for what ever reason. The upgrade prices are very aggressive and by obtaining the media (now in download form) you save yourself from these situations.

IMO Apple should still be supplying Snow Leopard, but they want you to buy new Macs. This is why they also put features into new hardware as well, like Air Play and PowerNap.

That said, Tiger 10.4 was released on 4/29/05. Your hardware may not even be supported by the new operating system. I have an iMac from '07 (2.8ghz extreme) and it can run ML 10.8.

System requirements for OS X Mountain Lion

Amazon.com: Mac OS X version 10.6.3 Snow Leopard: Software
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

You can call Apple and purchase a SL disc to be mailed to you.

But as mentioned, first confirm if your Mac can even run ML.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Find your iMac specs below to see if it can run Mountain Lion

Apple iMac Specs (All iMac Technical Specs) @ EveryMac.com

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Built-In Speech Recognition Programme | Disk Utility »