New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

my first Kernel Panic

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JTL1

JTL1 is on a distinguished road

Hello everyone,

I joined this forum because I was browsing the questions and answers for my first Kernel panic ever. The quality of the answers were very promising, .... so I joined this group.

On my wifes Imac OS 10.6.8 I was making a back up. Things went wrong and I used cleanmymac to deal with it. Probably wrong but I didn't know. And somewhere Sophos didn't copy to the backup also.

Situation now: I get the warning to push the on/off button to restore the computer, but somewhere the driver can not be found and the OS version: not yet set.

I tried PRAM, command s, command d, command O+F, command shift with no result. The only command that is somewhat useful: 'Alt' when starting up => showes my HD, my Drobo and Install DVD. Nor the Drobo, nor the Install DVD is able to bring me any further.

I hope someone is willing to assist my in this new KP world, I would be very pleased.

The text I get is as follows, prepare yourselves

npvhash = 4095

Darwin Kernel Version 10.8.0: Tue Jun 7 16:32:41 PDT 2011; root: xnu-1504.15.3-1/RELEASE_x86_64

vm_page_bootstrap: 4060379 free pages and 101157 wired pages

Kext submap [0xffffff7f80800000 - 0xffffff80000000001, Kernel text [0xffffff8000200000-0xffffff8000800000]

Standard Timeslicing quantum is 1 0000 us

mig_table_max_displ = 73

TSC deadline timer. supported and enabled

panic(cpu0 caller 0xffffff8000548fde): "unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI\".\n"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1504.15.3/iokit/Kernel/IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1387

Debugger called: <panic>
Bachtrace (CPU 0), Frane: return address
0xffffff8147a73ce0: Oxffffff 8000204d15
0xffffff8147a73de0: Oxffffff 8000548fde
0xffffff8147a73df0: Oxffffff 800052d5a6
0xffffff8147a73e40: Oxffffff 8000dcb1
0xffffff8147a73ee0: Oxffffff 8000e045
0xffffff8147a73f40: Oxffffff 8000e27a
0xffffff8147a73fa0: Oxffffff 80002c8527

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: unknown
Mac OS version: not yet set
Kernel version: Darwin Kernel Version 10.8.0: Tue Jun 7 16:32;41 PDT 2011: root:xnu-1504.15.3-1/release_x86_64
System uptime in nanoseconds: 124304831

Hopefully your eyeballs are not spinning after reading this and I would appreciated if we could get this IMac running again

Cheers

JT
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

First things first..... Get rid of "Clean My Mac" before doing anything else. It very nicely "cleaned" your Mac of a needed driver. Here's the problem:

panic(cpu0 caller 0xffffff8000548fde): "unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI\".\n"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1504.15.3/iokit/Kernel/IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1387

Boot to your Recovery partition by holding down command + r as soon as you hear the Bong! sound. Once in Recovery, select to reinstall Mountain Lion. That should restore the machine. Make sure you're connected to the internet. Hopefully, you won't have lost any data but at this point in time you have an inoperable machine that needs to be restored. Let us know how it went.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

And then remove Sophos by using the uninstaller. If you feel you must have AV software go for ClamXAV,

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
JTL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
First things first..... Get rid of "Clean My Mac" before doing anything else. It very nicely "cleaned" your Mac of a needed driver. Here's the problem:

Boot to your Recovery partition by holding down command + r as soon as you hear the Bong! sound. Once in Recovery, select to reinstall Mountain Lion. That should restore the machine. Make sure you're connected to the internet. Hopefully, you won't have lost any data but at this point in time you have an inoperable machine that needs to be restored. Let us know how it went.
Goodmorning chscag,
I hope I type this in the correct field.
Command-r works, BUT on this iMac Snow Leopard was installed. Mac Recovery only offers LION and this I can not access because we never bought it, so I can't get a copy.
Have you another idea?
Thanks for your effort

JT

P.S. Apple Support tried to help but was not successful. However they said that the 3 Bong sounds was an indication that a RAM problem was involved. They advised me to bring the iMAC to an Apple support shop and hope that no third party is involved. I don't like my data to be elsewhere, so first I'll wait for your reaction.
QUOTE Thanks
JTL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
And then remove Sophos by using the uninstaller. If you feel you must have AV software go for ClamXAV,
Hi Harry,

thanks for your help. I will remove Sophos and Clean My Mac as soon as I have access again.
Replace Sophos with ClamXAV
Replace Clean My Mac with ....?
Recently we installed Avast also. It works fine on our PC. But with the Kernel Panic I begin to doubt everything.

Thanks again.

JT
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

A bit late getting back to you.....

Do you have your original Snow Leopard DVD? If you have it, boot the iMac with it and reinstall Snow Leopard. A Snow Leopard reinstall does not remove data, documents, or applications, it only overwrites or replaces system files and kexts. (which is what you need to do)

If you no longer have the original Snow Leopard DVD, give Apple a call and order a retail SL disk from them. They're still available. The cost will be $29.99 US.
QUOTE Thanks
JTL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
A bit late getting back to you.....

Do you have your original Snow Leopard DVD? If you have it, boot the iMac with it and reinstall Snow Leopard. A Snow Leopard reinstall does not remove data, documents, or applications, it only overwrites or replaces system files and kexts. (which is what you need to do)

If you no longer have the original Snow Leopard DVD, give Apple a call and order a retail SL disk from them. They're still available. The cost will be $29.99 US.

Hi again,

Unluckily the Install DVD (original one) gives the same 3 Bong-sounds.This was the first action I did. Today, calling Apple Support, I had to do it again. No success.

Could I connect our Powerbook with the iMac. The iMac serving as an external HD .
Would that work? Connect wit Firewire?

Thanks

JT
QUOTE Thanks
JTL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTL1 View Post
Hi again,

Unluckily the Install DVD (original one) gives the same 3 Bong-sounds.This was the first action I did. Today, calling Apple Support, I had to do it again. No success.

Could I connect our Powerbook with the iMac. The iMac serving as an external HD .
Would that work? Connect wit Firewire?

Thanks

JT
ad: the Powerbook iMac connection was not successful, so the iMac is spending 14 days at Apple Netherlands.
Thanks for you support.

JT
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

When you get it back download Onyx for those maintenance chores. Just make sure you get the correct version for you operating system.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
JTL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
When you get it back download Onyx for those maintenance chores. Just make sure you get the correct version for you operating system.

Great and thanks again.

JT
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mid-2007 Macbook SSD upgrade | Stop Spotlight From Indexing External Drive »