New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

update?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

shooresh

shooresh is on a distinguished road

is ther any update for 10.4.11 to 10.5 or later?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

G'day and welcome to the forums.

OS X.4.11 is it for Tiger. If you want to go higher you have to lash out and purchase the install DVD. To run Leopard OS X.5 you need at least an 867MHz processor and the black full retail install disc will set you back around the $100.00 mark.

To run Snow Leopard OS X.6 you will have to be using an Intel model Mac and to run Lion a Core2Duo Mac. To run the newest OS, Mountain Lion OS X.8 you need a 2008 or later Mac. Do a Google on Mountain Lion to find the precise models it will install on.

shooresh it helps immeasurably if you provide your computer details.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
PGB1

PGB1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro 2.2 Ghz 2 GB RAM Running OSX 10.6.8

One quick note before you switch to Leopard or above:
Some of your applications may no longer work. There are compatibility checkers available on line. I think, but can not remember, Apple has one on their web site.

Snow Leopard still allows Power PC type programs to run under Rosetta, but some Power PC & even Universal programs die. Lion won't run any Power PC programs. Rosetta is gone.

My examples from 10.4.11 to 10.6.8:
Parallels 3.x no longer worked. Solution: Switched to Virtual Box (and enjoying it- super fast & reliable) Cost = Free

Turbo CAD Mac v2: The company said it will not work under Snow Leopard & I was required to purchase the new version ($$$$$$) It works fine under Snow Leopard.
For 10.7- It will die for certain.

The worst part is that none of your existing tc3 files will open. You have to convert them to DWG or DXF before[I[/I] you upgrade. Then buy the new version ($$$$$$) & then import them back in. Each and every one. One at a time.
You will have, as I found out with conversions, lots of corrupted scaling & dimension issues. Some isometric views will be a mess & some layers disappear.

Solution: I have not found one. I have hundreds of drawings that will get destroyed by the conversion. My plan- Stall on 10.7 upgrade.
If it is legal (don't know)- Keep a partition with 10.6.8 for older drawings. As far as buying the new version- Ain't gona happen. IMSI decided not to provide any means for their older drawing to be opened in their new version, so I'll get someone else's CAD program, hoping for a more trouble free DWG import.

Microsoft Office 2004: Works under 10.6.x with a few glitches. It reportedly will not work under 10.7 (It is Power PC
Solution- I bought Office 2011, only because 2004 would not open some docx files & messed up some xlsx workbooks people sent me. Version 2011 works fine under 10.6.8- very slowly, but fine.

Other Programs: Some, especially my Canon Camera stuff, do not work under 10.6.8.
Solution- None so far.

I hope this helps you decide about the upgrade.
Paul
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooresh View Post
is ther any update for 10.4.11 to 10.5 or later?
Taken literally, the answer to your question is no.
However, the question contains an error.
Moving from 10.4.2 to 10.4.3 was an update, for example.
What you are asking about is an upgrade, as noted in the post above.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Password Protecting my iMac on Startup | Mail »