New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Imac wi-fi connection issues

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

aviman123

aviman123 is on a distinguished road

I have been having this wifi issue for a while and i am sick and tired of it and just need to fix it. I am not a genius in computers so i am going to say this in extremely simple terms. When i turn on my imac and login in i always get the wifi icon searching for a network and not actually connecting to my network. If i go into system preferences it says something about 802.1x and that it is not able to connect however it keeps on trying and will basically end up never connecting. I have done some reaserch on 802.1x and have seen that is mostly used for campus wifi and school wifi which is not the case here since this is a home wifi network with wep security. I have tried all kinds of fixes but none have worked. i tried making a new connection for wireless, resetting pram, and a ton of other things but NOTHING HAS WORKED. it is so frustrating. The only fix there is for this is every single time i have to go to system pref then network then diagnostics and run a diagnostic test and then suddenly the thing about the 802.1x disappears which leads me to believe the wireless issue im having is somehow related to 802.1x. If anyone can pelase help me this is so frustrating!!!! I have attached 5 pictures of the process. if anyone needs more info to solve this please ask and i will supply it.
Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

G'day and welcome to the forums.

Computer details and operating system help no end. However how old is the modem/router? If reasonably new go to the URL, select to run as 802.11N and set up as WPA2 Personal. WEP is simply not secure.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
aviman123

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Computer details and operating system help no end. However how old is the modem/router? If reasonably new go to the URL, select to run as 802.11N and set up as WPA2 Personal. WEP is simply not secure.
ok i just changed it to wpa2 but for 802. 11n i think it cant do that cause it says Wireless Mode: Mixed: accepts 802.11b and 802.11g connections
QUOTE Thanks
aviman123

Ok so i just did the wpa2 and it somewhat worked when i restarted it didn't give me the 802.1x error but now it just will search for a network and just not connect to anything even though i pressed rember network! I think this was the original problem and i did something by accident to try to fix it and got the 802.1x.
P.S.- I also have alot of other devices that all work flawlessly with the same network so i dont think its an issue with the modem.
EDIT- ok so i restarted and the top bar finished searched for network and was just not fileld in and i clicked it and saw the pic bellow (should be second pic) and after a few seconds i searched again and found my network and this time didn't ask me for password. very weird.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2012-10-05 at 5.46.09 PM.png (218.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2012-10-05 at 5.52.54 PM.png (20.2 KB, 8 views)
QUOTE Thanks
aviman123

solved. went to prefrencen to network to asvanced and since it said the network was wep still i deleted it added it again and it went to wpa2. and now when i turn it on it works. thank you so much to evreyone who hellped
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« bypass password | System won't recognize ext. HD after upgrade to OSX Mountain Lion »