New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

How to run another instance of an Application by double clicking on its Icon

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ankitverma05

ankitverma05 is on a distinguished road

How can i run another instance of the application while the application is already running, by clicking on the application Icon in /Applications/.
I dont want to run it from /Applications/myapp.app/Contents/MacOS/myapp

Can i link a script file containing statements
(1)open -n /Applications/myapp.app
or
(2)open -n /Applications/myapp.app/Contents/MacOS/myapp

with the application icon click....

i have tried making changes in Info.plist of the application
key-Executable file value-myapp {present at /Applications/myapp.app/Contents/MacOS/myapp}

changes
key-Executable file value-launch.sh {present at /Applications/myapp.app/Contents/MacOS/launch.sh}

As i know an Application Bundle on OS X can only be started once.by simply copying the bundle the same application can be launched twice.

How can i link a apple script with Application Bundle.

Is there any solution for the above problem

Thanks
Ankit
ankitverma05@gmail.com
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

It seems to me the simpler thing to do would be to just make an Alias of the program that is embedded in the app and save that in your Applications folder.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Um I dunno if using a alias will do what the OP wants. Seems to me that some apps are written with the capability of opening separate windows concurrently, and some aren't. Tricking the latter into doing that would be, well, tricky.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Deleting suggested Updates | Can't enable access for assistive devices »