New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Problem creating ISO

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jnojr

jnojr will become famous soon enough

I want to create an ISO image of a folder on my disk (10.7.5)

Googling led me to instructions that said to open Disk Utility and select File, New, Disk Image from Folder That isn't working... first, I get a prompt for administrative credentials, which makes no sense, as I can read and write to the folder in question no problem. But if I supply them and hit Save, I get an error Unable to create "<name of folder>" (Permission denied) even though, again, I have write permission to my desktop or anywhere else I've tried to save it.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

give burn a try

Burn - Home

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Just what folder is this you are trying an ISO of?
QUOTE Thanks
jnojr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Just what folder is this you are trying an ISO of?
Would it make a difference? It's a collection of software and scripts and documentation.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Yes, I was being sure it was not some system folder that was part of the OS as you would probably get that error. Where are you trying to write the ISO to? Same folder? Another folder? Desktop?
QUOTE Thanks
jnojr

Quote:
Yes, I was being sure it was not some system folder that was part of the OS as you would probably get that error. Where are you trying to write the ISO to? Same folder? Another folder? Desktop?
All of the above.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

What is the exact error Disk Utility is giving? I am wondering if it's some files in the source that are causing the error. I have never had a destination error making IOS's with DU before.
QUOTE Thanks
jnojr

Quote:
What is the exact error Disk Utility is giving? I am wondering if it's some files in the source that are causing the error. I have never had a destination error making IOS's with DU before.
Unable to create "<name of folder>" (Permission denied)

I've tried different names, thinking it didn't like to be called the same thing as the source folder, or if it was too long, or ???

I have gone into the Get Info for the folder at pushed out permission changes through the whole thing just to make sure that I can read and write. Maybe I'll grep through the whole tree looking for anomalous permissions...
QUOTE Thanks
jnojr

Tried again after

find /path/to/directory -exec chmod -N {} \;
find /path/to/directory -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \;
find /path/to/directory -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;

Now, it takes the time to look like it's building the image, but when it gets done, the image disappears and I get an error 'Unable to create "<name of folder"> (Operation not supported)' Again, this is as a user with admin privileges, and writing to my own desktop, so... how do I find out what it's unhappy about???
QUOTE Thanks
jnojr

I had a chance to come back to this and look a little more. In /var/log/system.log, I'm seeing:

Nov 8 08:31:36 flamingo [0x0-0x1d61d6].com.apple.DiskUtility[48456]: 2012-11-08 08:31:36.256 copy-helper[48614:707] copy error (canceling): /Volumes/Setup Disc/cma.pkg/Contents/Resources/cma.bom: Operation not supported
Nov 8 08:31:36 flamingo copy-helper[48614]: copy error (canceling): /Volumes/Setup Disc/cma.pkg/Contents/Resources/cma.bom: Operation not supported

The file in question, though, is in /Volumes/Data/Setup\ Disc/...

Why is the copy process dropping the "Data/"?

flamingo:~ joliver$ ls -le /Volumes/Data/Setup\ Disc/cma.pkg/Contents/Resources/cma.bom
lrwxr-xr-x+ 1 joliver admin 14 Jun 8 2011 /Volumes/Data/Setup Disc/cma.pkg/Contents/Resources/cma.bom -> ../Archive.bom
0: user:joliver allow read,write,append,readattr,writeattr,readextattr,w riteextattr,readsecurity
flamingo:~ joliver$ ls -le /Volumes/Data/Setup\ Disc/cma.pkg/Contents/Archive.bom
-rw-r--r-- 1 joliver admin 52305 Jun 8 2011 /Volumes/Data/Setup Disc/cma.pkg/Contents/Archive.bom
QUOTE Thanks
jnojr

Still hoping for some ideas...
QUOTE Thanks
jnojr

Still looking...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Terminal issues | My USB ports are not working »