New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Very slow connection.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kershawh

kershawh is on a distinguished road

I am at my wits end. I am running a MacBook Pro and my ISP is Orange.

About 3 weeks ago my internet connection started dropping out for a couple of hours and then going back to normal. This happens a few times a day and in fact has done the same up to the present day.

I always keep my Mac maintained and cleaned with Onyx.

I have contacted Orange and all they want me to do is contact their so-called technical support line in India. I don't want to go down this road because past experience has taught me that talking to these people in India is a waste of time that is if you can in fact understand what they are saying.
Have any of you guys out there got any ideas of what is causing this random drop out - it is so frustrating.
Could it be my equipment or is it a line fault

Apparently my telephone exchange is within 1 mile of my house.

Thanks in anticipation.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Is your router dropping the internet connection or is you mac losing connection with the router?

Is your MBP connected to the router wirelessly or with a cable?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
kershawh

Hi

Many thanks for your quick reply.
My router is connected with an ethernet cable and now to come to mention it all the lights are on the router even when it is running slow.

I hope this further info helps.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

Well the first thing to do is power down the router, count 30 seconds then restart.

1. Do any other devices connect to the router?
2. When you say 'slow downs' how are you measuring this?
3. When the connection drops do any of the lights change on the router?
4. If you connect wirelessly do you experience the same issues?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
kershawh

I am running another computer upstairs on the same router but even when I disconnect this the performance does not improve.

By "slow down" I mean very slow even to the extent of freezing sometimes.
The lights do not change on the router.
I haven't tried connecting wirelessly- is this important.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

1. Does the computer upstairs experience the same issues?
2. have you power cycled the router?
3. "I haven't tried connecting wirelessly- is this important. " - important hmmmm depends if you want to look at all the possible causes of the issues you're experiencing - i.e. is the ethernet connection on your Mac at fault?
4. How is the upstairs computer connected to the router?

QUOTE Thanks
nscsdtech

nscsdtech is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Xserve, iMAC, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iPAD 2, Iphone 4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
1. Does the computer upstairs experience the same issues?
2. have you power cycled the router?
3. "I haven't tried connecting wirelessly- is this important. " - important hmmmm depends if you want to look at all the possible causes of the issues you're experiencing - i.e. is the ethernet connection on your Mac at fault?
4. How is the upstairs computer connected to the router?
i would ask the same questions, if the computer upstairs drops the internet and powering off the router doesn't correct the issue most likely means an ISP issue. you might have to make that call to india after all.

what kind of router is it and how old?
QUOTE Thanks
kershawh

I have just power cycled the router and I don't know if it is coincidence but it is performing well now.

I will let you know - many thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Good work. Cycling the modem/router can solve a lot of problems.

My ISP Service Department is in The Phillipines so understand your problem. Their only suggestions are 1. Turn off modem/router and leave unplugged for five minutes. 2. Reset to default and then enter the URL and set up again. 3. Reboot your computer.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
kershawh

Well it seems like the old problem is back again. Sometimes it is fine and then it runs painfully slow.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

With it getting better after power cycling the router I'd say that's definitely the issue here.

Do you have another router you could try?

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« new update - name displayed in top right corner | Late 2008 aluminium Macbook with ML...? PLEASE HELP! »