Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   OS X - Operating System (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/)
-   -   can only use half of macbook pro hdd (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/286023-can-only-use-half-macbook-pro-hdd.html)

quickiB 10-03-2012 04:58 PM

can only use half of macbook pro hdd

2 Attachment(s)
hello everyone, this is my first post, but I badly need some help. I have an early 2011 MacBook Pro which has a 500 GB hard drive. A while ago I was ****in around with the partitioning and trying to create a partition for linux. I already had a seperate partition for Windows 7 bootcamp, but somehow I ended up splitting my 500 GB hard drive into two and I can't figure out how to reintegrate the two.

pigoo3 10-03-2012 05:08 PM

In the photo above…go to:

- the drop down menu (below "Partition Layout")
- choose 1 partition.
- then I think that you have to click on the "Apply" button.

- Nick

dtravis7 10-03-2012 05:15 PM

Just a note, that will kill all the data will it not? Just in case they dont' know.

quickiB 10-03-2012 05:20 PM

I tried to click on the drop down menu but its gray not clickable. I think it shows up gray in the pic as well...

pigoo3 10-03-2012 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtravis7 (Post 1455285)
Just a note, that will kill all the data will it not? Just in case they dont' know.

Absolutely!;)

- Nick

pigoo3 10-03-2012 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quickiB (Post 1455286)
I tried to click on the drop down menu but its gray not clickable. I think it shows up gray in the pic as well...

Try this:

In Mac OS X, how do I partition my hard drive? - Knowledge Base

- Nick

chscag 10-03-2012 08:28 PM

Click on the partition you created for Linux, that should highlight it. Now press the small minus button at the bottom of the box and then press Apply. That will remove the partition and it will change to unpartitioned space.

Next, grab the bottom of the partition line that's your OS X partition and drag it until it fills the space up to the Boot Camp partition and press Apply.

One thing you need to be aware of: You may have zonked your Boot Camp partition's ability to boot by creating that third partition for Linux. Sometimes, you'll get lucky and it will still boot. You just have to test it. Let us know if the above works for you.

(And, you shouldn't lose data by removing the Linux partition.)

dtravis7 10-03-2012 08:39 PM

Charlie, that is what I was going to tell him but if you look at his shot of the Disk Utility, I see no linux partition so was not sure what was up.

quickiB 10-03-2012 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtravis7 (Post 1455339)
Charlie, that is what I was going to tell him but if you look at his shot of the Disk Utility, I see no linux partition so was not sure what was up.

Yeah, i didnt know what i was doing so I ended up somehow making hald the HDD unavailable. If you notice in the picture, theres the "Macintosh HD" and the "BOOTCAMP" partition. The Macintosh HD in the picture is half blue, but the other 200 GB is white and unavailable for use.

chscag 10-03-2012 09:05 PM

It's the "white" 200 GB partition that's unavailable for use which you have to remove first before you can do anything else. Did you try what I suggested above?

dtravis7 10-03-2012 10:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the hard drive on my imac with 2 partitions. You can see the separate partitions and area to drag on each one.