New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

What is the symbol for?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tenleftfingers

tenleftfingers is on a distinguished road

I've googled it by pasting it in as well as searching for 'the key under the escape key'. I've never come across it before and it's not on older macs.

Thanks,
Ten
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

On a new Apple aluminum board ~ is under esc.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I've never seen that on any keyboard either.

Section sign - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Poolman

Poolman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2010 imac, 2011 13" mbp, Ipad mini, Ipad air

I get it on my 2011 mbp with option 6
I have no idea what it's for
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolman View Post
I get it on my 2011 mbp with option 6
I have no idea what it's for
It's half of a Glaive. If you can find the other half you can defeat the Beast and free planet Krull.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Poolman

Poolman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2010 imac, 2011 13" mbp, Ipad mini, Ipad air

I had to google Glaive haha
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolman View Post
I had to google Glaive haha
Me too. Perhaps I am not smart enough for this forum.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
Me too. Perhaps I am not smart enough for this forum.
I confess I had to Google "Krull" to remember what they called the hero's weapon.

Funny how things change. I remember seeing the adverts for this in theaters when it came out and thinking, "How neat!". And then watching it on late night TV a couple of years ago and thinking, "How lame . . ."

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Yosemite 10.10.1

Interesting answers lads

MotM to the rescue here...it is a 'double S' which refers to a section or paragraph of a document frequently used by legal document writers and known as the 'paragraph sign' in Europe.

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen, ATV2.
MOTM October 2012. These days normally happy with an occasional grumble.
QUOTE Thanks
tenleftfingers

tenleftfingers is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendlewitch View Post
Interesting answers lads

MotM to the rescue here...it is a 'double S' which refers to a section or paragraph of a document frequently used by legal document writers and known as the 'paragraph sign' in Europe.
Thank you MotM, I decided I wasn't going to sleep tonight until I found out what it meant so I'm glad to find the answer here. Oddly, I didn't get email notification of the follow up replies...

Anyway, for non-believers I present you with an image of a keyboard with layout identical to my MacBook!
http://lowendmac.com/mail/mb07/art/macbook_keyboard.jpg
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Yosemite 10.10.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenleftfingers View Post
Thank you MotM, I decided I wasn't going to sleep tonight until I found out what it meant so I'm glad to find the answer here. Oddly, I didn't get email notification of the follow up replies...

Anyway, for non-believers I present you with an image of a keyboard with layout identical to my MacBook!
http://lowendmac.com/mail/mb07/art/macbook_keyboard.jpg
Hey no problem. Regarding the emails click the User CP (Control Panel) tab at the top of the page and go into Email Subscription Settings and subscribe.

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendlewitch View Post
Interesting answers lads

I knew there was a reason you were MoTM. Nice find. I knew I had seen it in legal documents/citations but wasn't sure of the meaning.

Now back to work on the secret formula for turning lead into gold.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
anonymust

anonymust is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook (Santa Rosa) 250GB HD, 4GB RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo, 8x SuperDrive

The section sign (, Unicode U+00A7, HTML entity &sect is a typographical character used mainly to refer to a particular section of a document, such as a legal code

Source: Copy, Google.com, Paste, Click Wikipedia.
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymust View Post
The section sign (, Unicode U+00A7, HTML entity &sect is a typographical character used mainly to refer to a particular section of a document, such as a legal code

Source: Copy, Google.com, Paste, Click Wikipedia.
It's easy once you know what it's called

QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
I knew there was a reason you were MoTM. Nice find. I knew I had seen it in legal documents/citations but wasn't sure of the meaning.

Now back to work on the secret formula for turning lead into gold.
Ha Ha....sshhhhhh

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Importing info to a new drive - iCal, Music, Photos, etc | Black screen of death »