New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

PBS on web

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ardenlester00

ardenlester00 is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I've been enjoying PBS on my internet connection (mac mini 10.5.8 Firefox).

Suddenly last week a pop-up came on my screen - from PBS - that I must update to Adobe Flash 11.4 in order to watch any of my favorite PBS programs.

My 10.5.8 will not update to the Adobe Flash 11.4. It is limited to the 10.? that is in my Applications.

Does anyone know of a "work-a-round" for this situation? I dislike the idea of going to a higher level OS system on my mini.

I remember a few years back when there was talk of problems in security with Adobe Flash - and there seemed to be another (other) program(s) that worked.

I am anxious to go back to watching my PBS (I don't know why they suddenly - over nite - made my Adobe Flash below standard????

Thank you,

Dennis
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Looks like 10.3 is the last supported version of Flash for Leopard, you need at least Snow Leopard to upgrade to 11.4. If the PBS site needs Flash, there is no real work-around for it unfortunately. You can't spoof the version or anything..so, apart from upgrading to at least Snow Leopard, not sure if you have many options..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
ardenlester00

Ashwin,

Thank you much for your very helpful reply. I ordered the dvd of Snow Leopard from Apple - it will be here Friday. By Friday nite I'll be back enjoying my PBS dramas and documentaries.

I guess I'll be needing to read how-to upgrade the 10.6 up to the 10.6.8. (Perhaps Apple notifies me automatically on how-to upgrade???? I wonder what progressive steps are required.

Thanks again,

Dennis
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Unless the DVD you got is already up to date, you would just go through a upgrade process to get you from 10.5.8 to 10.6 and then after you boot up, you can either manually start the Software Update from the Apple menu on the top left or have it automatically tell you there are updates. I'm not sure if it will end up going through each consecutive update to get you to 10.6.8 or just do the jump directly.

You can also try the combo updater that will get you up to 10.6.8 in one shot after the installation of Snow Leopard.

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
ardenlester00

Thank you again for your excellent information. I have downloaded the proper software - and getting ready to install it after my 10.6 comes.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Reformat a MB Air? | External Drives Renamed Themselves »