New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Time Machine backup taking soooooo long.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

allibyrd

allibyrd is on a distinguished road

I got some error message indicating that my Time Machine backup file verification had been completed and that a new backup had to be made. An Apple tech rep explained that sometimes a backup file can become corrupted, or was initially corrupt due to some interruption when the file was initially created, so I deleted the old sparsebundle file completely, and started over (luckily, I also have a Carbonite backup, just in case), with a new indexing of the hard drive. The new backup is running, with my MacBook Pro set to never go to sleep, with the top up, and connected to the Time Capsule by a cable (with WiFi turned off). Both machines are plugged into power, and there's been no power interruption, as far as I can tell. A total of 209.76 GB had to be backed up, and after about 36 hours of running, it's only backed up 25.2 GB! It's making progress, as it started with 260,672 items to back up, and is now down to 247,605 items left, but it's estimating 10 days left of running time! We do use that same Time Capsule as a wireless router for other Apple devices (2 iPhones, an iPad, and my husband's MacBook Pro, and a TiVo unit, but I turned off my husband's TM backups before getting started, and most of the time the backup has been running is overnight or while we're at work and other devices are not running or not even present within WiFi range. Is this normal for that amount of data to take this long to back up under these circumstances?
QUOTE Thanks
JUKE179r

JUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: '07 MBP 256GB SSD/6GB RAM/SL <--DAW!!!

IMHO I never like Time Machine due to the long backup times and having a corrupted hard drive that I couldn't use.

Have you tried using CarbonCopyCloner app? I find this excellent for backing up/cloning hard drives. You can even boot from it if saved to a thumb drive.

MBP 3,1 & 4,1 w/ Vertex 4 SSD | Logic Pro 9 | Ableton Live 8 | Traktor Pro 2 | AKAI MPK-49 | Roland MV-8000, TR-808 & TR-909 | Ensoniq ASR-10 | x0xb0x #911 | Denon DN-MC6000 | (3) Technics SL-1200MK1 | 3000+ vinyl records
QUOTE Thanks
nscsdtech

nscsdtech is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Xserve, iMAC, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iPAD 2, Iphone 4s

carbon copy is the program i use and i love it! images are fast and painless and the copy on the external is bootable and usable, great program and highly recommended
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple Bluetooth Keyboard issue on OSX ML | disk utility won't recognize internal drive unless system is booted from external dri »