New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Black screen of death

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

itzme2

itzme2 is on a distinguished road

Sorry if this thread has come up before, I cant find one

Since loading the Mountain Lion upgrade I have been plagued by the black screen with loads of white literature on bootup this only occurs after shut down and the mains has been switch off.
I have tried resetting the PRAM many times, in the end I got so fed up I down loaded Mountain Lion again reformatted the hard drive, then went through the nausea of loading every thing again. After many hours of trying to get things back together and saving the new setup to time machine I am getting The Black screen of Death that comes on with startup after being discontinued from the mains with loads of white literature then type EXIT, unless I hold the Alt key on startup and select the hard drive.

Whats going wrong. Any help and suggestions welcome. (oh forget the box of matches)
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Unless I'm mistaken that's single user mode, used to debug a broken installation of OS X. If you type exit does it go into the GUI normally? If you can get out of single user bootup, your problem should be fixed..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
itzme2

Hi Raz0rEdge
Many thanks for your answer.
Yes on typing exit it does fire up properly into the GUI.
I have now altered the settings in system within system preferences by unlocking, selecting all users with full access then re-locking. Will see what happens on next fire up.
Kind regards
QUOTE Thanks
itzme2

Sussed it out eventually. It all came to light when I tried to do a Hardware test and nothing happened, so I printed out the page 34 and tried again from a mains off boot up, still nothing. All this time I have been using a wireless keyboard and mouse, so I went into the loft to search for the USB keyboard the iMac came with and started again tried to do a hardware test again, no test came up but it did go into the proper Apple bootup. Replaced the wireless equipment and all still works as normal.
No idea why the wireless keyboard gave the problem, this is for Apple to sort out, not me I'm happy all is OK.
As its working I'm not going to try and fix it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What is the symbol for? | customize Mac os »