New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Terminal language and software

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

FJG1193

FJG1193 is on a distinguished road

Hello, so I tried downloading a program from MIT's Professor Drela's website called AVL, it tells me if my airplane design is stable or not. Any way here are the instructions that came with it...

Instructions

1. copy the avl file in the /usr/bin folder typing in the terminal the following command:

sudo mv avl /usr/bin

2. edit the .profile_bash by typing in the terminal:

cd ~
open .bash_profile

and add the line

export PATH=/usr/local/binPATH

save&close

3. to run the program with the plot options you must run it in the X11 by typing avl

However, I just clicked and dragged the execution file to my bin folder and created a .bash_profile because I didnt have one and the 'export PATH' code didnt work. I keep getting the message:

Last login: Mon Oct 1 14:18:51 on ttys000
mobile-192-17-228-25:~ franciscogonzalez$ /usr/bin/avl ; exit;
dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/libg2c.0.dylib
Referenced from: /usr/bin/avl
Reason: image not found
Trace/BPT trap: 5
logout

[Process completed]

everytime i try to run it.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN??? AND HOW CAN I FIX IT??

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

libg2c.0.dylib is not installed by default (at least not to /usr/local/lib/). libg2c appears to be part of GNU Fortran (see here) so I imagine that installing GNU Fortran would solve this problem which won't be easy. If the instructions really didn't outline that you needed this, they're incomplete. Where did you get these from?

I've also noticed that it's asking you to add /usr/local/bin to your PATH which should be there anyway. You wouldn't need to do this anyway since you add the binary to /usr/bin/. Who wrote these instructions?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
FJG1193

FJG1193 is on a distinguished road

The instructions just came with the download. I emailed Professor Drela, and he said he didn't write the Mac version of his program. So really, I've hit a dead end.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

The application may very well work but it might take a bit of work to get going. If you can, I'd find a suitable replacement. Otherwise, prepare yourself to fight with the application to get it working.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Part of my hard drive is missing | USB Superdrive and Macbook Pro »