New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Made a mistake

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mattwindy

mattwindy is on a distinguished road

So I just purchased a used Macbook Pro. It had Lion installed. I made a mistake however. I do not have the restore disk, and reading online how to resetting to factory. It didnt specify that I needed it. Now I have the OS X Mountain Lion Install screen and it won't let me download it. It says This Apple ID has not purchased Lion. What do I do?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwindy View Post
I do not have the restore disk.
There is no Lion restore disk (unless someone makes one themselves). Lion was a download only OS version.

Quote:
Now I have the OS X Mountain Lion Install screen and it won't let me download it. It says This Apple ID has not purchased Lion. What do I do?
This is kind of confusing. Mountain Lion is OS 10.8…Lion is OS 10.7. If you have downloaded Mountain Lion…then you shouldn't be getting any "Lion" messages.

I think that you need to describe exactly what you're doing/trying to do with a lot more detail. Since over the internet…we cannot see what's going on…or what you're thinking.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
mattwindy

Bought a used macbook Pro, wanted to bring it back to factory so foolishly I followed the first directions I found.

Went into disk utility, erased drive.
Clicked re-install os-x.
It comes up with install screen for mountain lion. Had lion 10.7 prior to my mistake.
When I enter my apple ID, it says lion has not been purchased by this ID. Sooo now what? Did I make an expensive mistake?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Bought a used macbook Pro, wanted to bring it back to factory so foolishly I followed the first directions I found.

Went into disk utility, erased drive.
Clicked re-install os-x.
It comes up with install screen for mountain lion. Had lion 10.7 prior to my mistake.
When I enter my apple ID, it says lion has not been purchased by this ID. Sooo now what? Did I make an expensive mistake?
Again there is still some confusion here. Firstly…a computers internal hard drive cannot be erased unless it has been booted either from a:

- OS install DVD
- OS install USB stick
- External hard drive with an OS on it
- or if the computer was booted from the internal hard drives "Recovery Partition".

This is one detail that is missing from this story.

Second. When you say that you clicked "Reinstall OS"…where is this "clicking" occurring?

Third. You mentioned having to enter your Apple ID. Usually you don't have to do this…unless iTunes or the Mac App Store application has been launched…and you're now trying to download something.

These are the details that I am saying are missing from this conversation…and it would help to know them…to better understand what's going on.

- Nick

p.s. But overall…you have not made a costly mistake…since no single OS purchase that you would be interested in costs more than $29 bucks. But…if the computer doesn't have a valid OS installed on it…then you can't connect to the internet…so that an OS (Mountain Lion) can be downloaded from the Mac App Store.

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
mattwindy

Hold down Command+r key at startup. Open Disk Utility and erase the Macintosh HD. Exit out of DU and select Reinstall Mac OS X. Select Macintosh HD as the place to install to and wait for Lion to be downloaded from the net. The computer will restart when the download is finshed and the install will start.

Is exactly what I did. However it will no download lion or mountain lion without an ID that's purchased it.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Your best bet now is to call Apple, give them your Mac specs and they can sell you Snow Leopard DvD(or possibly Lion on USB). Minimal cost and that will set things to right.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
mattwindy

Thank you Razormac, This seems to be the only solution. I talked to a support rep today who told me I could go to my local Apple store and get this. Low and behold, I had to call back and order over the phone. Apple support is phenomenal. Shipping it free, I just paid the $12 for next day. Thank you all for your input and help! I am sure I will be back as the switch from PC to Mac continues.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Let us know how it turns out.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Lion iCal not syncing to iCloud calendar | installing adobe flash player »