New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Upgrade from Mac o.s. x 10.5.8?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ibmom1957

ibmom1957 is on a distinguished road

I have a 3-yr old iMac. Safari freezes often and is driving me crazy. My 10.5.8. is up to date. I wanted to try Google Chrome, but my OS is not supported. Just in general is there a reason for me to upgrade to a 10.6 + OS? I am not very computer saavy. I do play some online games, but mostly this is a work computer (work from home) Will higher versions enhance my iMac?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

The upgrade certainly wont do any harm

But you have to buy 10.6 off ebay (make sure its not a grey disc, but one with a Snow leopard printed on it), as Apple no longer sells it

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.4

Hello ibmom,

First and foremost when was the last time you did any routine system maintenance for example 'Repair Disk permissions' in Disk Utility and how much hard drive free space do you have ? Cluttered and confused HD's and lack of space can have a huge bearing on speed. You can also try resetting Safari.

Secondly, provided your machines specs sit well with Apple's requirements (check the Apple website or App Store) you can go all the way up to Mountain Lion but you need to upgrade to Snow Leopard first because ML is now an App Store download unsupported by Leopard.

3 years is not old and if it were me I would be looking to maximise it's potential and yes the upgrade should enhance your Mac in my opinion.

Edit. Louishen beat me to the punch but you've got the general gist I think!

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen, ATV2.
MOTM October 2012. These days normally happy with an occasional grumble.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmom1957 View Post
I wanted to try Google Chrome, but my OS is not supported. Just in general is there a reason for me to upgrade to a 10.6 + OS?
Of course there is. One very good reason...upgrading your computers OS...would allow you to use Google Chrome (as you stated you can't do currently).

I could list at least 5-10 reasons (probably more) why upgrading your OS can be beneficial (depending on your needs). At this point your computer is stuck in 2008/2009. There have been 3 OS versions released since OS 10.5.8 (10.6, 10.7, 10.8). And none of these OS versions cost more than $29 bucks to purchase (which is traditionally very cheap as OS upgrade costs go).

Of course there are some "watchouts" to consider when upgrading a computers OS. And #1 is...by upgrading the OS...will currently installed applications still operate with the new OS.

The bottom line is...if everything is working fine with your computer...you may not need an OS upgrade. But if there are things that you can no longer do (such as install Google Chrome)...then you NEED an OS upgrade.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
ibmom1957

Thank you for your reply. I guess my question then is, will any upgrade help my machine? I mean, is it worth it, or will I pretty much have the same thing I have now? Also, if Apple doesn't even sell it anymore, can I just skip the 10.6 and go up to whatever is current?
QUOTE Thanks
ibmom1957

Great response, thank you so much! That is exactly what I wanted to know....and good warning about the other programs I have installed which may not work (Windows for Mac). Will think about it. Have a great Sunday. Susie
QUOTE Thanks
ibmom1957

Hi Pendleswitch - Thank you as well. I will do those suggested maintenance steps. You have helped me greatly. Susie
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I guess my question then is, will any upgrade help my machine? I mean, is it worth it, or will I pretty much have the same thing I have now?
Let me explain a couple things. Computers are a combination of hardware and software. For the most part...the hardware in most computers cannot be changed (the ram and hard drive can be upgraded...pretty much nothing else). So your computers hardware is what it is.

The OS provides you with "tools" to use your computer. When new things are produced/released after you've purchased your computer (new cell phones, new printers, new iPods, new iPads, and any sort of new software programs)...they will be geared to use the newest OS version that is current at the time they are released.

A lot of things have changed since 2008/2009 when your computer was purchased. To take advantage of many of them...you need to upgrade the computers OS. You don't need a new computer...you may need to just upgrade your OS. Look at things financially. Buy a new computer for $1000-$1500 (with a newer OS installed on it)...or spend around $50 bucks to upgrade the OS.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
ibmom1957

Excellent advice! Thank you, Nick.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Great response, thank you so much! That is exactly what I wanted to know....and good warning about the other programs I have installed which may not work (Windows for Mac). Will think about it. Have a great Sunday. Susie
This is one thing that many folks thinking about upgrading their computers OS forget about or don't consider. Folks may have $1000's of dollars in software they have installed...and a $20-$30 dollar OS upgrade can make them unusable (without buying possibly expensive software upgrades).

So an OS upgrade is not always a quick & easy decision. It's easy if previously purchased hardware or software is not made obsolete...or if there isn't any older hardware (printers, scanners, cell phones, etc.) or older software that will be made obsolete...then the OS upgrade decision can be easy!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.4

Quote:
Hi Pendleswitch - Thank you as well. I will do those suggested maintenance steps. You have helped me greatly. Susie
Hey that's a pleasure Nick's on a roll so you are in capable hands.

Everything's good here for a Sunday..two beers in the pub..the Roast chicken dinner is smelling fabulous...now if only we can pull those 4 points back in the Ryder Cup.....

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen, ATV2.
MOTM October 2012. These days normally happy with an occasional grumble.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Safari 6.0 | icloud upgrade deleting me.com address »