lesterm
    Password protect folders?
    Hi all,

I was just wondering if there was a way to password protect folders either natively in OS X or through a third-party utility. I have found programs to encrypt folders; however, the folders I want to protect are large and it doesn't seem reasonable to encrypt/decrypt the folder everytime I want to access it (more than sporadically). I would just like some level of security that is higher than low-level security measures that change the folder name to make it invisible.

Thanks!

Specs:
    17" MacBook Pro
    You can't password a folder but you can make a disc image from it using Disk Utility (that you can 128bit encrypt with a password).

I use Hide Out , it allows you to put things into a specific folder and then hide that folder thru using a password. Its not quite the same as applying a password to a specific folder but is the only thing i could find.

What i do to keep things easily accesible from the right folders is make a shortcut, in the folder where i want to access the data from, which redirects me to the loaction where you can access the hidable folder from. A bit of a bodge job but works for me.

Also i'm not sure how secure the passwording is, with your security needs this may not be what you're looking for as the files might be accesible thru a back door.

Have a play and see how it works for you

M

Specs:
    2.8Ghz MBP, 4GB RAM, 320 GB 7200RPM HD
    Create a disk image. Works just like a folder, its encrypted at 128kb, and you can customize the size. Be sure when you open the disk image for the first time that you UNCHECK the box asking if you want to save the password in your keychain. This will require you to enter the password every time. The decryption process is very fast (less than a second).

myuserid
    Quote Originally Posted by Erudite.Warrior
    Create a disk image. Works just like a folder, its encrypted at 128kb, and you can customize the size. Be sure when you open the disk image for the first time that you UNCHECK the box asking if you want to save the password in your keychain. This will require you to enter the password every time. The decryption process is very fast (less than a second).

Thanks for this information =) It will be useful to me.

Thread Information