New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Installing Mountain lion multiple macs

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

aqualover001

aqualover001 is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a macbook pro 15" with mountain lion. I also have an older macbook (>4 years) running on snow leopard. As I own both macs, I would like to know if it is possible to install mountain lion on my older macbook thanks to my newer mac.
If it is possible, could someone explain how to proceed?
Thanks in advance!

Aqualover
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

You cannot use any restore disks from a new machine to update an older machine

You can update the old machine to 10.6.8 and download it from the app store, its a steal at $20

You can also create a backup bootable copy with a USB stick

OS X Mountain Lion: The Mac-Forums Guide | Mac-Forums Blog

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? – use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
aqualover001

Hey Louishen,

Thanks a lot for the answer.
I have another question then (sorry I'm not that good in computers and all), if I need to reformat my new macbook how am I going to reinstall mountain lion if I do not have access to it on my mac?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualover001 View Post
I also have an older macbook (>4 years) running on snow leopard.
First things first…you should verify that this 4+ year-old Mac meets the hardware requirements to run Mountain Lion.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
aqualover001

Hey Nick,

On the support apple page it says its requirements is a Macbook Pro Mid/Late 2007. I bought mine in june of 2007.

It says I need OSX V.10.6.8 or later. I have the latest for snow leopard.

2GB of memory (I have them two if I am not mistaking)

8 GB or more of available space. That is also good.

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP31.0070.B07

So I think I should be ok with mountain Lion no? Or am I missing someihtng?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualover001 View Post
Hey Nick,

On the support apple page it says its requirements is a Macbook Pro Mid/Late 2007. I bought mine in june of 2007.

It says I need OSX V.10.6.8 or later. I have the latest for snow leopard.
Sounds good…I just wanted to make sure your older computer met the hardware requirements for Mountain Lion (ML). There would have been no need for us to pursue ML if the computer can't run it.

Regarding your original question. Your new 15" MacBook Pro (MBP) came with ML preinstalled on it (as it should have). My interpretation would be that since technically you didn't really purchase ML from the Mac App Store (MAP)…you would need to pay the $19 bucks to download & install ML on your older MBP from the MAP.

But…after you paid the $19 for ML (for the older MBP)…then (according to this article) you can install ML on any other ML capable Mac's in your household:

Install & Upgrade to OS X Mountain Lion on Multiple Macs with a Single Purchase

HTH,

- Nick

p.s. This of course would also apply to the new MBP…if for some reason you ever needed to reinstall ML on that computer.

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
aqualover001

Ok. Thanks a lot Nick. I didn't know if having a new MBP allowed you to have mountain lion on other cpu.
Now I know!
Have a good day!

Aqualover
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« imac waking on it's own. | Did Mountain Lion slow down your machine? »