New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

imac waking on it's own.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Tabitha

Tabitha is on a distinguished road

Hello, I am looking for something to delete old history and cookie, kind of a tune up for my imac. Any suggestions are well come. Thanks. Tabitha
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Clearing your browser cache will do this for you. But your question has nothing to do with your post title?

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Location: Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
IWT is a jewel in the roughIWT is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Lion) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Mavericks)

As Raz0rEdge says: With Safari open, Click on the Safari icon in the top menu and from the drop down menu, select "Reset Safari". This will open a box or window allowing you to choose a wide range of things to delete including your history, top sites and lots more - caution: cleaning out some web data and cookies can affect automatic log ins meaning you have to log in manually. Ditto caution re "Autofill". Your choice.

Regarding cookies in general, Safari>Preferences>Privacy allows you to set your criteria for which cookies you will permit. In this same place, by clicking on "Details", you can view all cookies currently on your Mac and delete any ones you don't want manually (or, of course, all of them).

Third party apps, such as Cookie Stumbler will scan your Mac for Ad and Tracking Cookies and eliminate these for you, safely.

But none of this quite matches your "iMac waking on its own", as Raz0rEdge already said.

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
Tabitha

Hello again, I did spill sweet ice tea on key board. I did clean it up but some keys are still a little sticky. Could this cause it to wake on it's own? Thanks for being patient with me. I did need the other answers too.
QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Lion) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Mavericks)

I don't know.

But now that we are bit closer to your real difficulty, can you just tell us how you set your Mac to sleep?

Generally, the methods chosen include:

- going into System Preferences (by clicking on the Apple icon, extreme left top menu bar) and clicking on "System Preferences" and from there on "Energy Saver" and selecting the criteria for automatically allowing your Mac to go into Sleep Mode

- or, click on the Apple icon and Select "Sleep" from the drop down menu

- or, using the keyboard, Ctrl + eject which brings up a panel allowing you to choose to shut down or go to sleep

- or, again with the keyboard, Alt + Cmd + Eject which puts your Mac to sleep directly

So, how do you put your Mac in sleep mode? And when, and under what conditions, does it wake? And how often? And after what sort of time?

Then, I hope, we can help you.

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
Tabitha

Hello, when I am done surfing. I push the same button to shut down except I only tap it. It use to stay asleep until I move mouse or pushed key on keyboard. Now I go to put to sleep and turn to walk away and it turns right back on (approximately 10-15 seconds. I have resorted to shutting completely down which take longer to come back up. And Genius bar suggested only putting to sleep.
QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Hi Tabitha

Whilst the method you use is normally sound, it does need to be set up via System Preferences>Energy Saver. Possibly in your case the appropriate box has not been checked?

Anyhow, why not try one of the other methods I mentioned above, for example, clicking on the Apple Icon and then clicking on "Sleep" from the drop down menu. See if this fixes you problem.

Although Forum opinion does vary, most people agree with the Apple Genius guys that shutting down your Mac every time you're done is NOT a good plan. Allowing it/putting it to sleep is better.

Let us know if the method I mentioned (Apple Icon>Sleep) does the trick. If not, we'll think again.

Ian
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can't reinstall lion | Installing Mountain lion multiple macs »