New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Secondary Click - Mouse Prefs

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Rich Greenland

Rich Greenland is on a distinguished road

Hi again, I keep coming home to find someone has been messing in my System Prefs - Mouse and switched on the secondary click function... grrr! With the old Apple this Pref was a Control Panel and if I didn't want anyone messing with it I just dragged it out of the Cont Panels folder and hid it somewhere else. Now it seems you can't remove or disable the preferences, or can you? It's annoying as in an effort to make the new Mac as idiot-proof as possible they seem to have removed a lot of the functionality.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Why don't you just set up your account auto-lock after x number of minutes and require a password when logging in, waking from sleep, and after a screen saver has been active? Whoever else is using your Mac can use their own user account and mess with those settings to their heart's content.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
Rich Greenland

Rich Greenland is on a distinguished road

Hi thanks for that. Sounds like a good idea and I would if I knew how! I've looked in prefs again, security and accounts and can't see how to do it. Sorry for being a dummy!

Re your sig, I take it you aren't in favour of 3rd party security for Mac? I'd intuitively thought it probably wasn't a good idea, it's a premium product so they ought to be able to sort their own security!
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Greenland View Post
Hi thanks for that. Sounds like a good idea and I would if I knew how! I've looked in prefs again, security and accounts and can't see how to do it. Sorry for being a dummy!
Assuming you are on Mountain Lion:
System Preferences Users & Groups Login Options
Remove your account from the Automatic login option.

System Preferences Security & Privacy General
Do the obvious here.

EDIT: It looks like you can actually skip the first step entirely via the second step... it has an option to disable the Auto Login feature.

Quote:
Re your sig, I take it you aren't in favour of 3rd party security for Mac? I'd intuitively thought it probably wasn't a good idea, it's a premium product so they ought to be able to sort their own security!
I don't disfavor it, though they are largely unnecessary for the typical user. The problem is that many of these pieces of software tend to cause various issues for some users and we need to know about them when troubleshooting. Some software like MacKeeper just outright needs to be removed because they are so problematic.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Update to Snow Leopard - HELP | what is the "search for" »