New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Lost ALL my pictures on Macbook Pro!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

melanie.m

melanie.m is on a distinguished road

Hello everyone.

I recently switched from a PC to a Macbook Pro (last week!) and synced all of the photos/videos from my iPhone to the laptop, then deleted them from the phone as it was taking too much space. The 700 something photos & videos were from a trip I took 2 weeks ago, and since my digital camera was out of memory, I took ALL of the pictures from my iPhone, & needless to say, these photos are all I have left from that trip. Now you can understand why I freaked out today, as I go into my iPhoto library and NONE of my files are there. They are NOT on any other folder, NOT on my iCloud, and of course NOT on my iPhone anymore. These files were not backed up anywhere else, because I just purchased the computer last week, and did not think I had anything to worry about for now, and boy, was I wrong. I called Apple Care and even they couldn't help me...they asked if I had done any updates, and I did, to OS X Mountain Lion on Sunday (5 days ago), but all of my files were still there until at least tuesday night (last day I checked my iPhoto library). The guy from Apple Care set up an appointment for me at the Genius bar, but it's not looking good. If anyone knows how to make these files magically appear again, please, please, let me know!

Thank You.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Is anything else missing like documents or music or videos?

You did not rename your account did you?
QUOTE Thanks
melanie.m

No, I did not rename my account.

& Yes, I lost pictures & videos, and as for the music, the only way to access from the laptop was if my iPhone was plugged in.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

That so sounds like the account got changed. Try clicking on the hard drive then in Users. What do you see there?
QUOTE Thanks
melanie.m

I see my drive and the guests (sharing).
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

If you click on your account and on Pictures, what is in that folder? Do you see a large file called iPhoto Library?
QUOTE Thanks
melanie.m

iPhoto library is there, as well as the Photo Booth
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

How large is the iPhoto library? How many pics did you have? If the actual library is there it might be something in iPhoto, or iPhoto made a new blank library. What is the size of the library?
QUOTE Thanks
melanie.m

I had about 700 pictures there, now all I have is 54 pictures (not even from my phone, these were automatically taken from my email accounts).

& today when I first clicked on my iPhoto library, it immediately prompted me into creating a blank library, because according to the software, I didn't have a library at all. This is when I realized, all of my pictures & videos were gone.
QUOTE Thanks
melanie.m

As for the actual size, it says "7,451,509 bytes (7.5 MB on disk)".

& it also says it was created today.
QUOTE Thanks
melanie.m

Also, when I click on users, then pictures, it only shows the "iPhoto Library" icon & the "Photo Booth" icon. Should I be seeing the "iPhoto" icon there as well?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My Mac speaks to me when coming out of sleep. I think it's French. | Force Quitting Mail on Shutdown »