New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Uninstall GAme Center in 10.8.2

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jeykey

jeykey is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBA i7 8ram SSD256

Is it advised to uninstall this system app with no problems; with a 3rd party app like CleanMyMac, which also clean prefs ? Im not into gaming.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeykey View Post
Is it advised to uninstall this system app with no problems; with a 3rd party app like CleanMyMac, which also clean prefs ? Im not into gaming.
I don't recommend using CleanMyMac for anything. It's FUDware and doesn't do at least some of what it claims to do. I've seen a couple instances where it actually ruined some installations of OS X.

As for Game Center... I don't know that it can be removed safely, nor can I find any information about doing it via a web search. I can only recommend leaving it alone for the time being.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu). Also advise us if you have any antivirus or "cleaning" software installed on your Mac. If you are using MacKeeper, you are hereby advised to uninstall it.
------
Links to commonly recommended software and instructions: Onyx | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | How to reveal the User Library
------
Having issues with Safari? Adware is on the rise. See this guide on how to remove it: The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
jeykey

Thanks for the FUDware info, already uninstalled it after doing a quick research on the subject. Ive only got 2 years of mac. Installed Apptrapper instead for uninstalls.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

It's usually a bad idea to delete applications that came bundled with the OS since it is integrated and getting again isn't trivial. If you don't play games, just ignore the Game Center and that should be fine. Unless used, it shouldn't be taking any resources and not much space I imagine..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeykey View Post
Thanks for the FUDware info, already uninstalled it after doing a quick research on the subject. Ive only got 2 years of mac. Installed Apptrapper instead for uninstalls.
I recommend using AppCleaner instead of AppTrap. It will work exactly like AppTrap does if you enable that option in its preferences, but I've also found it to be faster and a bit more thorough that AppTrap is. It's also free.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu). Also advise us if you have any antivirus or "cleaning" software installed on your Mac. If you are using MacKeeper, you are hereby advised to uninstall it.
------
Links to commonly recommended software and instructions: Onyx | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | How to reveal the User Library
------
Having issues with Safari? Adware is on the rise. See this guide on how to remove it: The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
jeykey

Thanks guys for the replies. I also guess common sense tells me to leave system apps alone, despite never using them.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Searched for some answers, no luck! May I have a *.dmg (image of existing hard drive) | Java »