New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Client DataBase

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Firejack

Firejack is on a distinguished road

I have a friend who has decided to use mac computers within their company and they are asking me whats the best way for them to create a client database. Any ideas guys as far as I know its only going to run on one computer so it doesn't need to be on a network and I believe he is looking for something similar to a library data bases where you can search up a name and it will come up with a list, sort of like a massive excel spreadsheet. Any suggestions on software or ways of doing this would be much appreciated thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.4

Hi,
Although I'm currently using the Address Book it is very simplistic and if I had the inclination I would use Filemaker Pro or Bento.

There is a link here Business databases for iPad, iPhone, Windows, Mac and the web | FileMaker (United Kingdom)

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen, ATV2.
MOTM October 2012. These days normally happy with an occasional grumble.
QUOTE Thanks
Firejack

Would it be hard make one and then run it though open office? I believe I have seen it done before but I'm not sure.
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firejack View Post
Would it be hard make one and then run it though open office? I believe I have seen it done before but I'm not sure.
I shouldn't have thought so. I used to make quotation templates up by setting up a Word doc with some nice headers and footers and then inserting excel price lists with some simple formulas into it. So you could do similar things with contacts and be able to run a search.

There is some cool online stuff out there at the moment. Have a look at this Online Project Management | Smartsheet

I have a business associate who uses this successfully. Ok there is a subscription to pay which may be an unnecessary on-cost for a small business but you can have different collaborators and users and it's a proper business management tool.

If it's just a list your friend is after then they can use their native applications quite easily for no cost (well their time I guess).

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen, ATV2.
MOTM October 2012. These days normally happy with an occasional grumble.
QUOTE Thanks
Firejack

Ok i'll look into it and let you know how it goes thanks for all the help
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Lion 'InstallESD.dmg' | File transfer from Mountain Lion to Windows 7 »