New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Noob Please Help!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

indygunner

indygunner is on a distinguished road

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I really need some help and honestly cant find the answer.

I have a 2007 (maybe 8) macbook pro with 10.5.8 and I want to upgrade it to the most recent software. HOW in the heck do I do that? When I go on apples site it just keeps directing me back and fourth between this page Apple - OS*X Mountain Lion - Move your Mac even further ahead. and this page Mac App Store - OS X Mountain Lion

It wont let me "view in app store" and to be honest I don't even think I have it.

I also know that I'll have to download 10.6 to be able to download 10.7. Help on that process would be great as well.

I greatly appreciate the help! Thank you!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

You can't upgrade directly from 10.5.8. Unfortunately, in order to enjoy the low cost of subsequent upgrades, you have to keep up with each one.

Assuming your MacBook Pro is on the list of machines that makes the cut, you'll have to first upgrade to 10.6.8. Then you can upgrade to 10.8. But you need the Mac App Store in order to do that, which didn't surface until 10.6.8.

And of course, since quite a few people are in the same boat you're in, and since Apple doesn't sell it retail, a lot of vendors are jacking up the cost of Snow Leopard, which used to be only $29. For example, Amazon has it for $99 now. You may try calling Apple directly to see if they can sell you a copy at the original price.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
indygunner

Thank you!
QUOTE Thanks
indygunner

Question... why cant I just call apple and have them mail me the 10.8 disk? Instead of going from 10.6 to 10.8???
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by indygunner View Post
Question... why cant I just call apple and have them mail me the 10.8 disk? Instead of going from 10.6 to 10.8???
Apple doesn't sell 10.8 on disc or flash drive (the latter of which they did with Lion).

Their model is confusing as at one time, OS X major releases cost $129. Apple changed this model with Snow Leopard, selling an upgrade for only $29. They then maintained that model at $29 for Lion and now $19 for Mountain Lion. Essentially the model has changed with more frequent major updates, at a fraction of the cost they once were.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
indygunner

So instead of paying $90 for one, you pay $30 for three (each).... makes sense, but it's stupid. Guess I have to play the game. Thanks again for all the help!

Also, my 10.5.8 wont update to the new 10.3 adobe flash. It installs but then keeps saying I need to upgrade to the newest. I tried repairing permissions on the disk and uninstalling it then reinstalling it with no success. Adobe says it works with 10.5 but I also saw they dropped 10.5 support... Thus the main reason for my desire to upgrade.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by indygunner View Post
So instead of paying $90 for one, you pay $30 for three (each).... makes sense, but it's stupid. Guess I have to play the game. Thanks again for all the help!
Yeah, I'm not sure what the official line is from them. You can go directly from 10.6 to 10.8, however. It's like they have a schizophrenic approach to their upgrade increments. You could infer a lot of motives, but who knows?

Quote:
Also, my 10.5.8 wont update to the new 10.3 adobe flash. It installs but then keeps saying I need to upgrade to the newest. I tried repairing permissions on the disk and uninstalling it then reinstalling it with no success. Adobe says it works with 10.5 but I also saw they dropped 10.5 support... Thus the main reason for my desire to upgrade.
Yeah, Leopard is quite old now by Apple's standards, so they've essentially dropped support and Adobe followed suit. And since they're no longer issuing security updates, it's probably best to upgrade anyway.

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

first these are not service packs like XP and Vista and 7 have. Apples service packs are free and like 10.6.1, 10.6.2 ETC.

2nd you don't need 10.7. If you can get a good price on 10.6 Snow Leopard, run the updater to get to 10.6.8 then go to the App Store and purchase 10.8 for $19.95.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« problem with upgrading form OS x10.5.8 | OSX Lion 10.7.2 HELP!!!! update huge problems »