New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Bootcamp wont show up in menu?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

shootingstr

shootingstr is on a distinguished road

Hi guys, so I restarted my computer and tried to go into bootcamp by pressing the option key but there was no bootcamp partition to select =O so I went into disk utility and there was no bootcamp partition =O

And now all the space taken up by my bootcamp partition is completely missing =O

can someone help me with this?

I'm on Mac version 1.8.2 btw =D
QUOTE Thanks
Sur3Mac

Sur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Late 2011 MBP 13" i5/16GB RAM,Early 2007 MB white 13", 2x TV 3rd Gen, ᣦ

If the partition doesn't show up in Disk Utility, it's probably gone, have you opened up Bootcamp itself, and what does it say when you do?
Does it say "Install Windows" or "Remove Windows"?

SM

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Boot to your Recovery Partition by doing this:

Restart your machine and press and hold command + r keys as soon as you hear the Bong! sound. That will boot your Mac to the recovery partition. Once in recovery, choose Disk Utility. From Disk Utility, highlight your hard drive on the left and choose partition on the right side.

Remove the Boot Camp partition or the empty partition by selecting it and then press the minus button at the bottom. Press apply. Once the partition has been removed, you should be able to drag your OS X partition to fill the empty space. Press apply and then leave recovery. If that doesn't work, we'll try something else. Let us know.
QUOTE Thanks
shootingstr

I've tried that, but its as if the bootcamp partition doesnt even exist. But the space inside my mac is still only 150 gigs, not 250 gigs =(
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

OK, we're going to have to take another approach. First, make a backup of all your data using Time Machine. You can also use Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper but you'll need to buy a license first. Time Machine will work.

Boot to the Recovery partition as before. Use Disk Utility again. However, this time erase the entire drive. (The Recovery partition won't be affected.) After it's erased, use the partition tab to make sure the drive is one partition if it's not already showing that way. Name the drive "MacIntosh HD". Format it as Mac OS Journaled. (GUID should automatically be selected as the scheme.)

Now, download and reinstall Mountain Lion. Restore your data with Time Machine. Let us know.
QUOTE Thanks
Sur3Mac

Sur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Late 2011 MBP 13" i5/16GB RAM,Early 2007 MB white 13", 2x TV 3rd Gen, ᣦ

Has it been confirmed that restoring the MacOSX partition through Bootcamp itself didn't work??

What does bootcamp say when you open it?
Install, or remove windows?

SM

QUOTE Thanks
shootingstr

Hi guys,
i'd rather not resore my computer because it has a lot of data on it =(
I really dont have an external hard drive to save my data on, if i did I wouldve restored it from the get go =(

I cant get into bootcamp at all, all that works is the MacOS partition

This is what it says when I go into bootcamp assistant

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

If you don't want to make a backup, there's not much more then that we can help you with.
QUOTE Thanks
Sur3Mac

I'm with chscag on this one... nothing left to do but back up your data, and repartition.

You could burn the absolute most important stuff to some DVD's, or if there's another mac in the house
try to use that as a back up container.

SM

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Nothing happens with the Apple... | My mac continuously uploads data »