Thread: New to Mac

New to Mac
    I have been a long term Windows person, but just taken over a Macbook Pro 17 inch from a reliable source. What steps should I take to ensure the machine is "clean". Will my Norton antivirus work on Mac, or what other recommendations.

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by exgarymac View Post
    Will my Norton antivirus work on Mac, or what other recommendations.
    Recommendation #1ůskip the anti-virus!

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 6S, iPod Nano 7th GeniPad 3
    Unlike Windows machines, you don't really have to do anything to keep things clean. The thing I would recommend is whenever you want to uninstall programs (any that don't have a built-in installer), use a program like AppCleaner to remove application so that all associated configuration files go to the trash as well.

This doesn't necessarily slow things down and doesn't take up a lot of space, but just completes the uninstallation.

Other than that, you can run OnyX at some interval to clean things up and a Repair Permissions from Disk Utility might not be a bad idea.

I've been using my iMac since I got it in early 2009..upgraded it to Lion and Mountain Lion and do nothing special with it other than use it..no anti-virus, no checks or anything..
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.

Thanks for that advice. It all seems very different from the WINDOWS world so I can see why converts never go back.
    Richard

Thread Information