Thread: New to Mac

New to Mac
    I have been a long term Windows person, but just taken over a Macbook Pro 17 inch from a reliable source. What steps should I take to ensure the machine is "clean". Will my Norton antivirus work on Mac, or what other recommendations.

2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by exgarymac View Post
    Will my Norton antivirus work on Mac, or what other recommendations.
    Recommendation #1ůskip the anti-virus!

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3
    Unlike Windows machines, you don't really have to do anything to keep things clean. The thing I would recommend is whenever you want to uninstall programs (any that don't have a built-in installer), use a program like AppCleaner to remove application so that all associated configuration files go to the trash as well.

This doesn't necessarily slow things down and doesn't take up a lot of space, but just completes the uninstallation.

Other than that, you can run OnyX at some interval to clean things up and a Repair Permissions from Disk Utility might not be a bad idea.

I've been using my iMac since I got it in early 2009..upgraded it to Lion and Mountain Lion and do nothing special with it other than use anti-virus, no checks or anything..

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.

Thanks for that advice. It all seems very different from the WINDOWS world so I can see why converts never go back.

Thread Information