New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Javascript not working with the new 10.8.2 update?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MissRaffix3

MissRaffix3 is on a distinguished road

Hello,
The other day I upgraded my computer (Macbook Air) to the new Mountain Lion version 10.8.2. It does say that Java 7 is installed and it is activated on my browsers. However, when I try to do something online that requires Java, it is not working. I have tried it on Google Chrome, Firefox, and Safari with no luck.
Any solutions to this problem?
QUOTE Thanks
macware

macware is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac

the title is wrong, Javascript is different with java,

try to reinstall java, or update if available..
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Java 7 won't work with Chrome since Java 7 is 64bit and Chrome is only 32bit. However, it should work elsewhere.

If you go to this test page, does Java load?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
MissRaffix3

Quote:
Originally Posted by macware View Post
the title is wrong, Javascript is different with java,

try to reinstall java, or update if available..
I did. I was on the phone with an hour and a half with AppleCare last night and even they didn't know what was wrong. My computer shows that I have Java 7, but in Java Preferences, I only see 2 versions of Java 6.
QUOTE Thanks
MissRaffix3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Java 7 won't work with Chrome since Java 7 is 64bit and Chrome is only 32bit. However, it should work elsewhere.

If you go to this test page, does Java load?
No, it doesn't. Java has worked with Chrome before though. And in my Java Preferences, I have both a 64-bit version and a 32-bit version, apparently.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Java 6 should work fine with Chrome since, as you've discovered, Apple has provided a 32bit version.

There are two possibilities. First, ensure that Java is enabled in Java Preferences. Although Java may be enabled, applet functionality may not. In Java Preferences, make sure the "Enable applet plug-in and Web Start applications" is checked. If it's not, that's your problem.

If it is already checked, go to chrome://plugins/ (yes, that is a valid URL in Chrome). In the list that appears, ensure that Java is enabled.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
MissRaffix3

Quote:
Java 6 should work fine with Chrome since, as you've discovered, Apple has provided a 32bit version.

There are two possibilities. First, ensure that Java is enabled in Java Preferences. Although Java may be enabled, applet functionality may not. In Java Preferences, make sure the "Enable applet plug-in and Web Start applications" is checked. If it's not, that's your problem.

If it is already checked, go to chrome://plugins/ (yes, that is a valid URL in Chrome). In the list that appears, ensure that Java is enabled.
I don't see a box that says "Enable applet plug-in and Web Start applications" in my Java Preferences. This is what I see:
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

This is because you've got Java 7 installed. Before we start uninstalling/reinstalling unnecessarily, did you try the second suggestion in my last post?

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
MissRaffix3

Quote:
This is because you've got Java 7 installed. Before we start uninstalling/reinstalling unnecessarily, did you try the second suggestion in my last post?
Yeah, that's the first thing I did when I realized it wasn't working. I checked that it was enabled in my Chrome preferences and it was.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

It sounds like the Java 7 installation is blocking things here. Unless you need Java 7 specifically, follow the instructions here to remove it and restore Java 6 as the default.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
MissRaffix3

Quote:
It sounds like the Java 7 installation is blocking things here. Unless you need Java 7 specifically, follow the instructions here to remove it and restore Java 6 as the default.
Okay, in the second step when I go to the terminal, it asks me to enter my password in the box that comes up. It's not letting me type anything though.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Yes it is - you're not supposed to see anything. This is a security feature. Just type it in and press enter.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
MissRaffix3

Quote:
Yes it is - you're not supposed to see anything. This is a security feature. Just type it in and press enter.
Alright. Well, I did all that. And still no luck.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Have you tried re-opening Java Preferences? If you followed those steps, you should have the older and (in my opinion) better version which should allow you to enable applets.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
MissRaffix3

Quote:
Have you tried re-opening Java Preferences? If you followed those steps, you should have the older and (in my opinion) better version which should allow you to enable applets.
Yeah. I did that and pressed the "enable" button which I now see at the top. But it still doesn't work. At this point, I'm not sure if it's a Mac issue or just an issue with the site. Like I said, I was on the phone with AppleCare last night and they couldn't figure it out. They sent in a report to the engineers. But I also contacted the site and they said they'd look into it as well.
But thanks for your help!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iphoto, itunes, USB stick recognition at fault | Late 2008 macbook won't start up »