New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Mac OS X Problems!

Thread Closed

thom6199

thom6199 is on a distinguished road

Help needed!!

Recently i thought i had done a software update, after this i used my macbook as normal. I then updated my iphone 4 on the phone itself, all went well!

When i recently plugged my phone up to the mac, it comes up with a message on itunes saying i need the new 10.6.3 (i think) update for itunes, when i go to do this, it scans for an update (the automatic software update thing comes up), which finishes off saying something like 'your computer is updated'... which is blatantly wrong.

When i go to download the new itunes, it finishes downloading fine. So when i go to install it, it comes up saying 'the software requires mac os x 10.6.8'

Ive tried downloading a new mac os x, and when i go to install it, it comes up with the same as before...

I have a new iphone 5 coming next week, and im scared that i wont be able to it.......

Please help, much appreciated in advance!

Thom
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom6199 View Post
Ive tried downloading a new mac os x, and when i go to install it, it comes up with the same as before...
- What exact model Macintosh computer do you have?
- What OS version did you download?
- What OS version was the Mac running before you had the problems mentioned in your post?

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
thom6199

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
- What exact model Macintosh computer do you have?
- What OS version did you download?
- What OS version was the Mac running before you had the problems mentioned in your post?

- Nick

Thanks for the speedy reply Nick!

Mac OS X 10.5.8 is what im running now

Ive tried to download Mac OS X 10.6 and above...

Nothing has worked

Thom
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:

Nothing has worked

Thom
10.6 is not a download. You can still purchase it by calling Apple and I believe the price is still $29 USD

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
thom6199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
10.6 is not a download. You can still purchase it by calling Apple and I believe the price is still $29 USD
What am i exactly purchasing ??
Can i get it online ??

Thank You

Thom
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Thanks for the info. Yes…this is why I asked the "What OS are you running now & what OS version did you try to download questions."

As "Razormac" already mentioned…OS 10.6 is not a downloadable version of the Mac OS. Yes…you can download the incremental updates…but you must purchase an OS 10.6 install disk…in order to install OS 10.6 initially.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Can i get it online ??

Thank You

Thom
You are purchasing a DVD or perhaps a USB ThumbDrive if Apple has changed their pricing. Doubt if you can get it as a download, but it never hurts to ask when you talk to them.
And, depending on your Mac Specs, you might be able to run 10.7 (Lion) or even 10.8 (Mountain Lion)

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
pigoo3

Quote:
Can i get it online ??

Thank You

Thom
You're purchasing a Mac OS 10.6 install DVD. We used to be able to purchase this from Apple.com…but they discontinued selling these disks a while ago. As "Razormac" mentioned…you need to call Apple now (phone)…to purchase it.

And this doesn't mean calling a local Apple Store…you must call Apple via their 800 number.

- Nick

dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Also Check Amazon but not sure if they have any of the $29 Snow Leopards left.

Oops. Amazon does have it but it's $80 PluS!! WOW!!!
thom6199

Thanks for all the replies guys.

So there's nothing i can do apart from buying it?

I cant understand what ive done wrong...
RavingMac

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies guys.

So there's nothing i can do apart from buying it?

I cant understand what ive done wrong...
We do not support piracy in any way, shape or form. You have been given ample info on how to obtain a legal copy of your OS upgrade.

Thread will be closed.

Thread Closed

« Mac OS X version 10.5.8, processor 1.8 GHz PowerPC G5 | How to reinstall OS X on new Hard Drive »