New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Mac crashing

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

QueenMe

QueenMe is on a distinguished road

I have this 1TB external drive that I bought a year ago. Not have the box or anything from it anymore ( seagate)
I had no problem with it but starting this week: If I want to transfer file ( both ways ), my computer crashes. A black window in 4 different language comes up telling me that I have to restart my computer by holding down the power. I tried to do repair disk and erase the data which enable the drive to work for a short period of time ( less than 10 min) before another crash. I can't get to repair permission ( gray out).
Shall I try more or there is something serious going on? I don't want to damage my mac
I don't have any problem with my other external drives. So that should rule out any problem with my mac...Correct?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

If other external drives are working fine, then it sure sounds like the Seagate. Any chance you have disconnected it without first ejecting or dragging the icon to Trash to get it dismounted? That can corrupt the drive.

With the drive attached does it appear in Disk Utility on your boot drive? If so try and run Repair Disk from there. If not things do look glum.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
QueenMe

QueenMe is on a distinguished road

I could do repair disk once with out crashing. but not anymore. Honestly I am afraid of trying.
What can I do with it. I didn't keep any box. And if I did, didn't know what to do.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What happened to drag to the dock? | HELP buy Mac OS Snow Leopard »