New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Moving files & folders instead of copying

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

NielsJoormann

NielsJoormann is on a distinguished road

Hey, I've been working with my MacBook for over two years now and I'm still very satisfied. Now I want to reorganize my files & folders to get more storage room. But here's the problem: as I move a folder to my external hard drive, my Finder starts copying it instead of moving it. Therefor I have to remove the folder on my MacBook afterwards, which takes a lot time (the folder is several GB) and this is quite annoying.
My question is: is there any way I can get my Finder to move the folder (to my external hard drive) and delete it from it's original location (somewhere on my MacBook) at once?
QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Location: Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
IWT is a jewel in the roughIWT is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Lion) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Mavericks)

Hold down Cmd as you Drag the item. This moves it.

Option + Drag, copies

Cmd+Option+Drag creates an alias.

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
NielsJoormann

NielsJoormann is on a distinguished road

Sweet, that solves it! Thanks a lot.
QUOTE Thanks
Patrick Cox

Patrick Cox is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWT View Post
Hold down Cmd as you Drag the item. This moves it.

Option + Drag, copies

Cmd+Option+Drag creates an alias.

Ian
I am trying to move my Movies folder to an external hard drive and even when I hold down the command key as I drag, the pop up window still shows "copy." Could I be doing something wrong?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Location: Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
IWT is a jewel in the roughIWT is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Lion) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Mavericks)

Dear Patrick

I've tried to reproduce your problem without success. I've moved my Movie files back and forth between the Internal HD and an EHD as described above.

I mean no offence at all but Cmd + Drag means hold down and keep holding down the Cmd key, then use the mouse to drag, releasing the mouse before releasing the Cmd key.

I'm sure you know this only too well and I mean no insult.

What OS are you running and can I presume you have an Apple keyboard?

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
Patrick Cox

Patrick Cox is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWT View Post
Dear Patrick

I've tried to reproduce your problem without success. I've moved my Movie files back and forth between the Internal HD and an EHD as described above.

I mean no offence at all but Cmd + Drag means hold down and keep holding down the Cmd key, then use the mouse to drag, releasing the mouse before releasing the Cmd key.

I'm sure you know this only too well and I mean no insult.

What OS are you running and can I presume you have an Apple keyboard?

Ian
Hi,
No offense taken! Try moving your Apple "Movies" folder. The one that was created by the Apple OS. When I try to move, I get the green + sign. I am able to move folders underneath this folder though. It must have something to do with the Apple setup of this folder. We are using the Lion OS I believe.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
pete1606

pete1606 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Cox View Post
Hi,
No offense taken! Try moving your Apple "Movies" folder. The one that was created by the Apple OS. When I try to move, I get the green + sign. I am able to move folders underneath this folder though. It must have something to do with the Apple setup of this folder. We are using the Lion OS I believe.

Thanks!
IWhen I hold down command and drag it also copies for me as well. I have OSX 10.7.5
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« upgrading from OS10.4.11 | Help on how to fix macbook pro 13inch 2010 (cpu 1 caller 0x47f5ad)? »