New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

No disk options when installing OS X

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Vilarix

Vilarix is on a distinguished road

Hello!

I wanted to do a clean install so I did a Time Machine backup, booted on my USB of Mountain Lion, went into Disk Utility and tried to erase my hard drive.
It failed saying there was "not enough space", I didn't read it entirely because I thought it was a "success" message...

I thought I just had to do it again but I don't have the option to erase anymore (only two tabs, the main one and the "partition"), I can't boot on it, after the login it loads forever with a crossed out circle instead of the apple.

I can't even reinstall OS X since it is not in the list of available disks.
I can't even use my Time Machine backup since I can't select the disk where the data will be sent.

I'm ****ed

Is there a solution or an alternative to Disk Utility? I don't care if I lose my data since I wanted to format the disk.

Thanks a lot for your help!

PS: I did a repair on the disk, it says everything looks OK...
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Well actually, it sounds like your hard drive has crashed. Replace it.

Edit: you didn't happen to remove the partition, did you? Do you see anything in Disk Utility on the left besides your attached thumb drive?

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
Vilarix

Really? How could it crash like that? Just by trying to erase it? Not even with secure format...

Thanks anyway, I'll see the prices and tutorials to replace it!

EDIT

Actually yes I did, I saw the Bootcamp partition, since I was not using it anymore I decided to remove it before to erase the disk. Is it bad?
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilarix View Post
Really? How could it crash like that? Just by trying to erase it? Not even with secure format...

Thanks anyway, I'll see the prices and tutorials to replace it!

EDIT

Actually yes I did, I saw the Bootcamp partition, since I was not using it anymore I decided to remove it before to erase the disk. Is it bad?
No, not bad, but it sounds like you removed your OS X partition also. Select the hard drive in Disk Utility on the left; on the right, select the Partiton tab; under Partition Layout, if the box is all gray (meaning there is no partition), then press the + button at the bottom; then hit Apply.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
Vilarix

I just did it, but nothing happens, there was a confirmation window but now no loading or anything, do I have to wait?

And will I have to always use a partition for the OS?

Thanks for your help, I hope it'll work!
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
I just did it, but nothing happens, there was a confirmation window but now no loading or anything, do I have to wait?
Nope, it should be ready. The gray area should now be white with a name for the partition. It'll either say "untitled" or "Macintosh HD".

Quote:
And will I have to always use a partition for the OS?

Thanks for your help, I hope it'll work!
Yes. The hard drive is useless without at least one partition.

I forgot to remind you to make sure it was formatted using "Mac OS Extended (journaled)". That's the default, so it should be fine.

------
------
QUOTE Thanks
Vilarix

It is still gray but there is now written "3 Partitions" (the original, the one I created and the old Bootcamp which is gray and named Free Space).

I click Apply, confirm it but when I try to close the window it says that there are unsaved changes and asks me if I want to close without saving. Should I?
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
It is still gray but there is now written "3 Partitions" (the original, the one I created and the old Bootcamp which is gray and named Free Space).

I click Apply, confirm it but when I try to close the window it says that there are unsaved changes and asks me if I want to close without saving. Should I?
Oh no no no no! Delete all with the minus button, then add a single one. You should end up with only one partition covering the entire drive.

I see now what you did. You removed the Boot Camp partition, but didn't add the space back to the 1st partition. Although now I dont understand why you couldn't see the drive before.

------
------
QUOTE Thanks
Vilarix

I can only delete the partition I just created, I can't click on the minus for Bootcamp (it's grayed)... How can I add the space back to the main partition?

I think I'll just buy a new hard drive so it's clean and without useless partitions...
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
I can only delete the partition I just created, I can't click on the minus for Bootcamp (it's grayed)... How can I add the space back to the main partition?
Ah. I get it now. I thought you were booted off the installer on a thumb drive. You aren't. You are booted off the internal drive. Resize your primary partition by dragging the bottom edge down.

Quote:
I think I'll just buy a new hard drive so it's clean and without useless partitions...
That won't help.

------
------
QUOTE Thanks
Vilarix

I can't drag it, the mouse icon doesn't change when it's in the middle of the two partitions :/

Maybe I could try to make the Bootcamp partition from Free Space to extended (journaled)?
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
I can't drag it, the mouse icon doesn't change when it's in the middle of the two partitions :/
Where in my post did I say to drag from in between the 2?

You know what? The gray area wouldn't have said "Boot Camp". It's unpartitioned and unnamed if gray. You are trolling me, aren't you?

------
------
QUOTE Thanks
Vilarix

Sorry I used to resize the partition by doing that, then I don't understand what you mean by dragging the bottom edge since the bottom of the main partition is just next the gray partition (therefore I'd have to drag from in between the 2...)
I say Bootcamp because it was the Bootcamp partition before I format it, now it turned gray and there is nothing written on it, on the right it is named Free Space and the format is Free space too.

Sorry if I was not clear...
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

My bad. It's the corner, not bottom edge.
Resize Partitions in Mac OS X with Disk Utility

------
------
QUOTE Thanks
Vilarix

I don't have the dragging widget, I took a picture of the screen:

http://i.imgur.com/2WhhZ.jpg

Do you think I could take out the disk, plug it to my PC, wipe and place it again in my Macbook? Is there a tool on PC to format it using OS X Extended (journaled)?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« blank screen | Mail problem »