New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Clone, bootable, back-up, install ML from SL-Help!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Sjeh

Sjeh is on a distinguished road

I want to install ML from SL. Sorry, but never got around (had time) to do L.
I am knowlegable enough to be dangerous with this kind of stuff; so I'm posting this message is to get confirmation on whether I have it figured out enough to do it myself or should I pay Geek Squad to do it.

I have
iMac running OS 10.6.8
usb WD Elements 2TB ext HD NTFS format

I want to
download Mountain Lion
mount on some other USB device following directions from How to Make a Bootable OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion USB Install Drive

reformat HD to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) following these directions from WD
How to partition and format a WD drive on Windows (7, Vista, XP) and Mac OSX

create two partions (Guid Partition Table) 1 for cloning existing drive, 1 for Time Machine back-up.

clone using Disk Utility with these directions MAC users - How to Clone Hard Drive Using Restore Option in MAC Disk Utility | Serato.com
set time machine to back up (?)

Install ML
reinstall data from TM back-up

do second clone of internal drive running ML

I don't know
if I need to delete all the data on the internal drive to install ML
do I need to do a Time Machine back-up in additon to the clone before installing ML
should I make a new clone of the internal HD with ML installed after checking all is ok, and then reformat the partion again to wipe out the SL clone for the ML clone?
because I am doing all this for the first time should I fork out the money for CCC or SuperDuper to make these clones and just use TM for incremental back-ups
Do I need to do a complete back-up with TM after installing ML?

Thank you for your input about this.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

if I need to delete all the data on the internal drive to install ML
No you dont, you can install straight over Snow leopard, unless tyou wish to do a clean install

do I need to do a Time Machine back-up in additon to the clone before installing ML
No, but it wont hurt to have both backups

should I make a new clone of the internal HD with ML installed after checking all is ok, and then reformat the partion again to wipe out the SL clone for the ML clone?
I would just go for a time machine backup once Mountain Lion is installed

because I am doing all this for the first time should I fork out the money for CCC or SuperDuper to make these clones and just use TM for incremental back-ups
Time machine is perfectly capable of restoring your mac should anything happen

Do I need to do a complete back-up with TM after installing ML?
Let Time machine be your backup once you have everything installed

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
Sjeh

Sjeh is on a distinguished road

Thank you louishen!

I just moved from London to the States and am missing England SO much!
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

What do you miss, not the weather

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I don't get any sound or banner notification for iMessage - I do for other IM | Deleting photos and folders in iphoto on macbook pro »